DC 1000 or 1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am waiting for new arms and trays to come in from Ultra Light for my dc1000 max. I love SeaLife cameras but the arm length on the strobe was frustrating the bejeebers out of me. I expect them next week. Will post about the conversion process and how it works once I have it finished.

Are you still using the sealife flash?

I am waiting for new arms and trays to come in from Ultra Light for my dc1000 max. I love SeaLife cameras but the arm length on the strobe was frustrating the bejeebers out of me. I expect them next week. Will post about the conversion process and how it works once I have it finished.

Looking forward to that.

I got the DC 1200 last week and did a couple quick dives last weekend to check it out before our Cozumel vacation in 17 days. I was diving at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio which is kinda cold. The camera did great pictures were surprisingly good and the video was even better. This was my first dive with a good underwater camera and let me say that underwater photography is tricky. At this point the camera is doing all the work as I do not have that much skill yet. I agree with Sabbath that the strobe arm is a bit frustrating I think its just too short. I still got some pretty good shots though. The wide angle lens did really good also. The Piano keys were really easy to use, one button for three different flash settings one button for three different focus settings and one button to change from picture mode to video mode just remember to set the depth correctly for the video as this will affect the white balance (it was easy to do underwater). Because I'm new to underwater photography I read the manuals for the strobe and camera. I also spent some time practicing around the house and reading lots and lots of tips on the web. I'm really glad that we got to try the camera before our vacation because now I have a lot of confidence in the camera and its capabilities. I'm expecting to get lots of great "snap shots" for my personal album, I think this camera is capable of getting "magazine quality" photos but they will be harder to get as everything has to be just right. Overall I'm very happy we bought this camera and cant wait to start snapping pics in the clear blue water.

This photo taken last month with my DC1000 using two strobes at 75 feet along the Jupiter, FL reef . . I'd love to have the DC1200 but I don't know that it will necessarily improve upon the quality of underwater shots like this one - using diffusers on the strobes softens the flash which can be unpredictably "hot" at times:

Attachments

• YoungLoggerheadCopyRightVersion_smallsize.jpg
    YoungLoggerheadCopyRightVersion_smallsize.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 84
I just bought the 1000 this past tuesday (been looking at it like a kid in a candy store for months).
I have taken a few land pictures so far but am going to take it to the pool tonight just to take some test shots underwater.

I took these last August in Cozumel with the DC 1200 Elite (one strobe and wide angle lens). These of course are the better pics. I have some that were pretty good and alot that were just ok. This was my first real try at underwater photography and it is tricky tricky stuff. But the camera was great VERY easy to set up and use with room to grow and learn. Practice at home before you get it in the water it will make things simpler and give you some practice with the external strobe and all. FYI if the current is kickin' don't even bother just put the camera away and enjoy the ride, I wore myself out trying to fight the current for pictures.
Scuba Dave

Anemone.jpg

Graysby.jpg

Honeycomb Cowfish.jpg

Rock Beauty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom