DC 1000 or 1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, now that I have decided to get new SeaLife, my next question for any of you that may know is: Is there significant difference in DC1000 and DC1200 other than the configuration of the buttons? ie I noticed that DC1200's focus says close as 4" and DC1000 sqays close as 2". However I never got a 2" good focus on the DC1000 underwater so I don't know if that is a real difference. Does anyone know more about the new DC1200 than what it says on the website? Thanks so much!

I tried to find out and came up with nothing really. I have the dc1000 and after seeing the change in macro focusing I will not be buying the 1200.

The keys in the back are more user friendly but the dc1000 is also.

I am a photographer and was looking into the actual specs on the camera's themselves trying to decide between these two. I bought the DC1000. From a photographers point of view its the better choice, better f-stop which means more light, and better battery. I don't do any cold water diving so the choice was clear for me. If you did alot of cold water the DC1200 would be easier with gloves. Both camera's are very close, its the housing that makes the real difference and Im not completely sold on the design of the lever near the shutter release on the 1200. It looks like a design flaw to me, I think they could have a leak on their hands, time will tell.

Ben

My new DC1000 10megpix arrived yesterday. I've only used it on land so far both in and out of the housing. Seems very easy to use and works well. I found the shutter button a little hard to press which I figure is probably by design as to make it harder to accidentally press it. The OLD sea life 35mm Reef Master I had, had a safety lever to block the shutter button. A better design IMO.
I'll now use that old housing to hold my cell phone and personal GPS when I solo dive. Lots of strange currents here that can take you somewhere you didn't intend to go. It's good to have the means of calling for help if needed.
I like the green sea setting idea, I need it here in NE.

I dive in cold water and use the DC1000 with heavy gloves. No issues. I am staying with the DC1000 because 10MP a good size and the sensor is good. I like the ability to change my f-stop and shutter settings on the fly.

The one issue I do have is that the arms on the stobes aren't long enough to allow me to get really close and to aim my strobes correctly. As a result, more backscatter that I like.

FYI, I attended the Dive Expo in New Jersey last weekend. You can change the strobe arms to Ikelite arms and make the strobe longer. Email or call them and they will tell you what you need to buy. I took a strobe class with Cathy Church and she mentioned it at the class.

I had a dc 350 and needed to upgrade. I just orderd the 1200. I dont have it yet. I went with it because of price. I like sealife.

Most divers will not be disappointed with either model. The DC1200 is obviously the one that is going to be promoted. Some shop owners have shared their concerns about the flooding issues, but SeaLife has stood by their product and nobody has complained about getting a replacement camera outfit. From what we've been able to tell, the 12MP has about the same 'noise' as the 10MP results. You won't be cropping out 65% of your photo with great results.

Now that has my interest changing the arms on my Dc1000 maxx, So this is possible???

I am waiting for new arms and trays to come in from Ultra Light for my dc1000 max. I love SeaLife cameras but the arm length on the strobe was frustrating the bejeebers out of me. I expect them next week. Will post about the conversion process and how it works once I have it finished.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom