Dazed and Confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flightmedic_sd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok guys here goes. New to this board and new to the idea of diving. Haven't enrolled in basic underwater dive class cause i can't make up my mind. Depending on which friend i talk to and which LDS i speak with everyone has their own opinion. So...i came here for advice and guidance from people in the industry. More opinions here than i can shake a stick at. PADI or SSI? Which equipment to buy? How slow or fast to jump into this? Please help! Straight forward no BS advice would be great. Eager to start, but dont want to get off on the wrong foot.

We for the most part the agency does not matter, PADI and SSI are both widely known organizations, so you shouldn't run into any problems with recognition.

I would start by talking to the dive shops in the area and finding out what their classes are like (price, length, what is included, etc). You will probably find varying time frames for the classes and prices so try to choose something that works for you. Hopefully someone can recommend a good shop near, but if not try to avoid classes that are really quick because they can prevent skills from sticking in your head as well.

One thing to clarify up front is if the shop expects you to buy gear for the class, or if they will provide you with everything. Some shops will require you to buy personal gear like mask, fins, snorkel, fins; while others will rent you everything. Keep this in mind when considering the price. I would prefer to go to a shop that allows you to rent everything, even though it is still a good idea to get the personal gear.

Read these and go from there:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

Decide what you want to get out of diving. Do you want to be a diver or an underwater tourist? Decide what is interesting yourself or be led around like a sheep? Ask the instructor if at the end of the class you will be fully capable of planning and carrying out a dive with a buddy of equal skill and training? Or will you have to come back for more classes? If the latter find another shop or instructor because if they will not provide the knowledge and skills to do this you are getting shortchanged. Do not limit yourself. Look under the Agency Forum and see just how many options you have. And don;t limit yourself to shops. Many times independent instructors are more flexible with scheduling, are not governed by shop time limits on classes, and will include those extra skills and classroom sessions that will give you a better education.

I would start by talking to the dive shops in the area and finding out what their classes are like (price, length, what is included, etc).

Note the proper order of priority of those variables in choosing where/with whom to train is the REVERSE of the order listed above.

Check out the first couple of pages of THIS thread.

Look for a shop that offers as much pool time as possible. Be prepared to pay a little more. If you are really well prepared for your open water dives, you will be much more likely to enjoy them, and enjoying your open water dives is a great omen for continuing as an active diver.

Agency really doesn't matter. The commitment of the shop to quality education DOES, and the philosphy and experience of your instructor matters even more. If you can find an instructor with technical or cave experience, it's highly likely you will get a different (and better) kind of open water instruction.

Welcome to Scubaboard. In addition to the above info, you might also check your local forum for local divers who can recommend specific instructors. Using the :search: search feature is also helpful. More feedback will either confirm your friends opinions or steer you in another direction.
Deep Dixie Divers - ScubaBoard

Welcome. I cant chime in about aencies, I was lucky enough to find a shop that is full of great people and very knowledgeable instructors. Gear I have bought pieces at a time. Now how fast If your like me I want to get as much knowledge and dive as often as possible everyday if I could. Mudd puddle to deep ocean, I got bit by a bug that I cant help but to love. Best of luck on journeys. Keep asking questions

IMO it's not the certification agency, but the actual instructor you have that makes the difference. I've been on boats where students are brought up from 30+ metres on less than 20 BAR of air because the instructor wasn't monitoring or encouraging sufficiently. Now I'm not removing the responsibility of gauge checking from the student - this was AOW after all - but I get my instruction from tech divers who can and do certify in more than just PADI. Their knowledge and experience above and beyond the recreational bounds makes for a much more informative training experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom