Daylight Saving Time and Smoke Detectors- 2nd try

How often do you change the batteries in your smoke detector?

• I change my batteries when I adjust my clocks for daylight saving time

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I change my batteries, but I don't adjust my clocks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I change my batteries when they are low

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don't own a smoke detector

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I burn so many dinners, that I have to change the batteries more frequently

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I like polls!!!

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I write the date on batteries and lightbulbs and keep track of how long they last

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Daylight saving time is soon upon us and we will once again hear the reminders to change the batteries in our smoke detectors. Vote Now!

OK, here's my gripe. I think that changing the batteries twice a year is too often. My smoke detectors are wired into the house circuit, so the battery is strictly in case of power failure. I don't know what the shelf life on batteries is, but I would bet it's more than 6 months. I am also diligent about changing them when they are low- the reminder beep drives me nuts.

Here's the dilemma- to the extent that smoke detectors save lives, be sure to have fresh batteries. I can't justify throwing perfectly good batteries into landfills. I live alone (I.e. no kids), so it's only my life on the line, and I prefer to live on the edge.

Anyhow, vote in the poll, check your batteries (don't forget the CO detector), and set your watches. And if you do change your "almost perfectly good" batteries, please, try to use them in some other non-critical device, such as garage door openers, alarm clocks, kids toys, etc.

I change my batteries once a year, in the fall, during Fire Prevention Week. (yeah, yeah, I was a Girl Scout.) But I voted to change them monthly because of my cooking skills. My kitchen motto is: "cook it all on high, when the fire alarm goes off, it's done".

I change them when they beep at me, whenever that is. But I do change them. I still remember waking up one night wondering why the damn thing went off, walking downstairs, and finding my kitchen table on fire!:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I, for one, change my batteries about once a year. However, on a slight tangent, I also believe Daylight Saving Time outlived its usefullness a long time ago. It's time to file it in #13...

I am sorry, but I guess you want the truth. I took mine down. We don't do daylights savings and I like it that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom