Davis reef Islamorada 1-15-15(pix and conditions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The day started off dreary ,foggy and some wind. when we arrived the seas were about 1-2 feet and no sun.

It changed in an hour to flat calm and sunny

water temp was around 74/75 and viz was a generous 20 feet and no current

There were divers on the reef(funny we never run into the divers lately) and the coral restoration divers also(doing a great job with this reef big difference) were out there too

Dolphins at the marina was a nice bonus

Winds ranged from 15kts to 2 kts today

P1010007_edited-1.jpgP1010021_edited-1.jpgP1010034_edited-1.jpgP1010047_edited-1.jpgP1150006_edited-1.jpgP1150033_edited-1.jpgP1150038_edited-1.jpgP1150064_edited-1.jpgP1150089_edited-1.jpgP1150110_edited-1.jpg

funny assortment of fish we saw today

The Mrs noticed that the burrfish in pix 8 is uncommon/rare in our area per reef creature book

This used to be one of my favorite dives. Simple, lots of marine life, lazy... I once agreed to take a student from a college up north for referral dives there. She was on her way to the Caribbean to do research with her professor's team, and had to get in some training dives to complete her cert. I took her to Davis, and on one dive she had her first docile shark spotting, free swimming moray, two turtles, a Southern and an Eagle ray, and untold little guys. I was thrilled - inspired. When we completed the dives, during a debriefing, I asked her to describe her new life as a diver. Her response - ho hum... I've seen aquaiums before... I often wondered whether she dropped out of diving to become a mortician or a forensic accountant... As for me, I still dream about the turtle who placed her flipper on my outstretched arm...
:doctor:

MB:
This used to be one of my favorite dives. Simple, lots of marine life, lazy... I once agreed to take a student from a college up north for referral dives there. She was on her way to the Caribbean to do research with her professor's team, and had to get in some training dives to complete her cert. I took her to Davis, and on one dive she had her first docile shark spotting, free swimming moray, two turtles, a Southern and an Eagle ray, and untold little guys. I was thrilled - inspired. When we completed the dives, during a debriefing, I asked her to describe her new life as a diver. Her response - ho hum... I've seen aquaiums before... I often wondered whether she dropped out of diving to become a mortician or a forensic accountant... As for me, I still dream about the turtle who placed her flipper on my outstretched arm...
:doctor:
With the coral plantings the reef has really exploded with marine life

The day started off dreary ,foggy and some wind. when we arrived the seas were about 1-2 feet and no sun.

It changed in an hour to flat calm and sunny

water temp was around 74/75 and viz was a generous 20 feet and no current

There were divers on the reef(funny we never run into the divers lately) and the coral restoration divers also(doing a great job with this reef big difference) were out there too

Dolphins at the marina was a nice bonus

Winds ranged from 15kts to 2 kts today

View attachment 201302View attachment 201308

funny assortment of fish we saw today

This Bridled Burrfish (pg452 Reef Fish Identification) is said to be uncommon to rare in Florida:)

The Mrs noticed that the burrfish in pix 8 is uncommon/rare in our area per reef creature book

Those "horns" jumped right out at me. Thought maybe you'd gotten creative in Photoshop or something. :) Bridled Burrfish (Chilomycterus antennatus)? Had never even heard of one till I went searching through the Smithsonian iPhone app. Wasn't under "puffer" or "balloonfish". Cool!

Last edited:
Those "horns" jumped right out at me. Thought maybe you'd gotten creative in Photoshop or something. :) Bridled Burrfish (Chilomycterus antennatus)? Had never even heard of one till I went searching through the Smithsonian iPhone app. Wasn't under "puffer" or "ballonfish". Cool!
Going back Sunday,we are going to check if its still in the same area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom