Dauin or Puerto Galera for a month +?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently posted a question trying to choose between PG and Anilao for a month in order to complete my Dive master course. I was about to pull the trigger on PG but...

Now that Dauin has reopened for domestic tourism, that is an option as well.

I have never dived Dauin (was planning to go November) and have read it is mostly muck and black sand. I enjoy macro but would this be a better place for DM training?

How would topside life be in Dauin?
I am ok with hunkering down and never leaving a resort for a week or so when diving on vacation but would be different for 4-6 weeks.

Very very isolated! In a way it is comparable to Anilao regarding food and topside life. Dumaguete is a nice little provincial city but a fair distance away.
The local sites are black sand and muck but the trip to Apo Island etc is different.

You are better off in PG.

Puerto Galera will be the best option, good variety of dive sites all very close and Verde Island is fantastic. Some decent shops to get great training as well.

Good luck to you, you'll love it I'm sure.

I would think there are more c-card divers being trained in PG than Dauin. If your doing your DM to eventually become an instructor I would think you want more exposure to courses being taught.

I am in Moalboal now. You could consider here. The diving is in a built up area so there is some night life. In PG you have a lot of currents to deal with and in Dauin the shore is all rocky and outside of Apo Island all muck diving.

Moalboal has a nice wall, a wide variety of topside activities and since it is generally a backpacker destination some pretty cheap living if you want only the basics. ( I see 200p per night advertised, had an Airbnb for just over 20k a month one bedroom, kitchen aircon all utilities included.) Pescidor Island is as good as Apo, just not as big but much less crowded and more accessible from the dive shops.

Costs here for fun diving much less than either Dauin or PG so I would think a DM course would be pretty good too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom