Dating a Mako K14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is most likely micro hose. That is what I use for out gauge panel as well. I buy them already made up since I don't sell enough of them to justify investing in the machinery to custom build them.

It actually looks to me like a standard air brake fitting and tube..... Which has a burst pressure of around 1,000 PSI :(

Just want to confirm that the threads into the compressor separators and and fittings are in fact 1/8" NPT and not BSPT. As far as I can measure with a thread pitch gauge, it is 27 TPI (which is NPT)

It actually looks to me like a standard air brake fitting and tube..... Which has a burst pressure of around 1,000 PSI :(

Just want to confirm that the threads into the compressor separators and and fittings are in fact 1/8" NPT and not BSPT. As far as I can measure with a thread pitch gauge, it is 27 TPI (which is NPT)

That's not terribly far from something-or-another n x 1 in metric. Do you have metric thread gauges too?

Definitely not 1.0mm pitch. The diameter of the largest thread on the fitting I pulled out was 0.404 inches which is just about what 1/8 NPT should be. I don't guarantee that the fitting was the proper one when it was put in......

The nuts/bolts on the compressor head seem to be all metric. SAE on the frame. Would Bauer have used metric nuts/bolts along with NPT pipe threads?

Ray (who posts) and Porter (from August Industries) can answer your questions better than I can. But I've found some weird thread sizes on my K14 and it seemed worth asking if you were sure it wasn't a metric thread. I will note that 1/8 NPT is really close to its possibly metric, possibly BSPT, possibly something else counterpart, which was the oil pressure sender size in older Datsun/Nissan blocks (and, for all I know, might still be). It was close enough that a soft brass NPT fitting was moderately secure for temporary use, even though it wasn't right.

However, that's with a max oil pressure of 60PSI, not breathing air compressor pressures of several KPSI. You can thread in a brass one and see how many threads of engagement you get. I seem to recall about four with the NPT fitting in the oil gallery. You will want six or seven for this application, though, so you get the full strength possible in a threaded attachment. It just wouldn't do to have it pop and create a projectile hazard.

If you can't find tapered metric pipe thread specs with Google I can try to look them up in the morning, but it's late and I'm tired and Machinery's handbook is downstairs in the shop. Any other measurements you can post would be helpful.

Looking here: THREAD IDENTIFICATION CHART The major diameter of the fitting that I have in my hand measures right at 0.404 inches and 27 TPI. The fitting definitely does not measure 1.0mm pitch.

I'm getting just about a turn and a half of threads just turning it by hand. Not sure exactly how many more turns with the wrench I'll get. This is for the oil/3rd stage, so around 900 PSI working pressure. My final pressure gauge already has a stainless steel line going to it.

Hi the thread you are looking for is 1/8 bsp also known as 1/8G.
The thread in the housings is a parallel thread.
Some time bauer use a straight fitting to 6mm pipe. known as a light L fitting
other if they use a elbow 90deg fitting they use a BSPT.
Hope this helps you.
PM me if you get stuck

Hi the thread you are looking for is 1/8 bsp also known as 1/8G.
The thread in the housings is a parallel thread.
Some time bauer use a straight fitting to 6mm pipe. known as a light L fitting
other if they use a elbow 90deg fitting they use a BSPT.
Hope this helps you.
PM me if you get stuck

I grabbed a 1/8 BSPP fitting from work and it sure fits nice in it.....

Do you have a spec sheet of the different threads on a K14? I'm going to get the adapters and see what happens when I try and start it up. Hopefully not much more goes wrong.

Patrick

K14
So what other things /threads do you want to know ?
Any chance of a few photo of your block.
First time start up- Run of load bleed final stage oil line and check/adjust to 50Bar

Back
Top Bottom