DataMask Safety Strap/Retractor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wayne007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought the DataMask and it's fantastic. Has anyone figured out a simple way to ensure you don't lose it in 1000 feet of water? Seems like a safety line to your BC or a retractor might work. Any recommendations? I'd hate to tell my wife my new mask is at the bottom of the ocean ( I told her it cost over $100 ... Which is true, just didn't tell her how much over $100!!)

Appreciate any ideas.

Wayne

I just bought the DataMask and it's fantastic. Has anyone figured out a simple way to ensure you don't lose it in 1000 feet of water? Seems like a safety line to your BC or a retractor might work. Any recommendations? I'd hate to tell my wife my new mask is at the bottom of the ocean ( I told her it cost over $100 ... Which is true, just didn't tell her how much over $100!!)

Appreciate any ideas.

Wayne
Well, I was going to troll for "You're gonna die!" reactions eventually,
but this seems like a good segue to get 'er done ...
Caveat: this isn't DataMask per se.

I have a new XS-Scuba guage-reader mask. One local dive on it so far.
It seems to solve my guage-reading problems, and I'd really like not
to lose it, although it's not that expensive, really. More of being dependent
on it during a dive.

Having had a few past incidents of getting a mask knocked off, and also
tending to MOF occasionally, I have for some time considered how to
put a mask on a leash. I decided to act on the thought.

I have a design I'm taking on a dive trip next week to see if it's viable.
Basicley, a 1/8 bungee necklace that goes over my head with just a little
stretch, fairly loose around my neck, but very secure. Attached to the
necklace by a knotted loop is another piece of 1/8 bungee. That has a
loop at the other end. That gets attached to a slot in the mask that I
think is intended for an XS-Scuba aftermarket "X-Strap". I don't know
if the Datamask has a similar leash attach point, but if it doesn't,
I'm sure some sort of eye could be attached.

The attachment to the mask is independent of the mask strap, and the
leash is removable without tools by pushing the necklace back through
the mask-attach bungee loop. I did this on the right side to keep it clear
of any interaction with my pocket snorkel should I ever have to deploy that,
and because I think it interacts better with the long hose loop when
installed on the right.

The vertical bungee is just long enough to remove the mask without stretching
the bungee much. For me, from centerline of mask strap to neck bungee attach
point is 9.5". Not a lot of free bight when the mask is in use to entangle on,
but clearly that's the biggest concern. I'm counting on the long-hose primary
loop to keep the vertical bungee fairly snug and away from entanglement.
Which raises a procedural concern that will require discipline in gearing up -
I must always have the mask leash inside the long hose.

I had thought about a leash to the BC shoulder, but that seems like it
has a longer leash with more entanglement risk, and more pieces to fail
and futz with. If the mask is going to be on a leash, short of attaching
a hoop earing (not my style :14:) I don't know how it's any shorter.

I emphasise that this is still an experiment, built but not yet dived with.
Planned for next week, we'll see. But it's the kind of thing I'd like to see
discussed. I'm sure I will get told that I'm gonna die, but maybe that's
accurate advice. Why? And are there any refinements to this I haven't
thought of?

This has been tossed around frequently under mask lanyards.

A simple piece of paracord off the backstrap, brass mini clip, neck bungee (which is also used for the safe second.

Most people resist it until they try it. Or until the CPO instructs them that this is how it shall be done.

Thanks Doc! Our replies crossed, if I'd seen yours (or thought to search for this)
I probably wouldn't have posted.

I've read some of the past posts now. It's encouraging to know I'm not
breaking new ground here. I see a lot of the expected "you're gonna die"
reactions, but nothing I didn't expect. And if there are at least some experienced
divers doing this, I'm less apprehensive about trying it myself.

Never lost a mask - Never will

Our replies crossed, if I'd seen yours (or thought to search for this) I probably wouldn't have posted.

On subjects such as this, it's good to have as many voices as possible.

It's encouraging to know I'm not breaking new ground here.

Pretty much so a UDT trick from the 1950's.

I see a lot of the expected "you're gonna die" reactions.

Whenever you do anything outside the norm, outside the pictures in the manual, different than the role model, that's what is easiest for someone to say. Remember that DIR and GUE took no steps, modifications or specifics without scientific analysis. In the example of a mask lanyard, we must note the increased risk of entanglement. Not rocket science, right?

One of the greatest aids you can utilize underwater is a good mirror. I buy those large crib mirrors for infants at the Salvation Army for a buck. On one end, I tie a 1 liter soda bottle and float it off of a weight. Makes a great training device. Exactly how does your gear ride and behave underwater? You can look your rig over pretty carefuly... or just have a buddy do a slow 360 on you with that video camera.

Never lost a mask - Never will

I think I know you... you're the guy with those drywall screws and silicone glue, right?

Never say never. :bash: It can get pretty touchy-feely out there.

I think I know you... you're the guy with those drywall screws and silicone glue, right?

How did you know? ? ? :)

I should have added to my first post - now that I own a $1,500 mask - - I go where it goes no matter what!!!
:11:

My shop has sold two Datamasks so far. One to me and one to another guy. The other guy has already managed to lose his while on a dive. His buddy found it for him, but now he wears a coiled retractor(?) cord attached to his BC. I'm not sure I agree with his implementation, but the guy is nuts to begin with, so............. :confused:

Wayne, Like you, I own some pretty expensive scuba equipment. I checked in to some of the scuba equipment insurance companies and found that their price for insuring stuff is 3% of the worth of the equipment. For instance, if you have $10,000 worth of stuff to insure, it would cost you $300 per year to insure. - Simple as that.. HOWEVER, the policies which are written by scuba equipment insurance companies have lots of lousy restrictions. For instance, if the computer in your Datamask flooded, it WOULDN'T be covered. Or, if you were getting ready to make your entry into the water and you dropped your mask (or camera gear), it WOULDN'T be covered. Well, heck, those events are what we have insurance for! So I looked around, and called around (including the guys at Scubatoys) and I was advised to simple insure my valuable stuff through a writer on my Home Owners' policy. Upon calling my Home Owners' insurance company, I found that the rate was half of what the scuba insurance companies' was... From my Home Owners' Insurance, it comes to only 1.5% of the worth of the equipment! Additionally, there are NO restrictions. My equipment is covered if it is lost or damaged in my luggage, if it is dropped off the boat, if it is flooded, or if it is stolen. Bottom line, call your Home Owners' insurance company. It's the best, and cheapest way to insure all your valuable equipment (Datamask, Regulator, BC, Camera Stuff and anything else you want to put on your Writer and policy). There's a much greater chance that your Datamask would accidentally be washed or knocked off of the boat or even stolen by someone who knows how valuable it is. Get insurance and rest easy. It's a very small price to pay when you consider how much we spend on equipment, trips, etc. Best Regards, Kent

Extending your homeowner insurance may work great in many places in the US but NOT in Florida.
The last thing you want is to jeopardize your home coverage, specially if you are planing to move with in the state ever. Any claim against your policy regardless how unrelated to hurricanes may be, becomes perfect excuse to drop you so fast you'll head will spin.

Wayne, Like you, I own some pretty expensive scuba equipment. I checked in to some of the scuba equipment insurance companies and found that their price for insuring stuff is 3% of the worth of the equipment. For instance, if you have $10,000 worth of stuff to insure, it would cost you $300 per year to insure. - Simple as that.. HOWEVER, the policies which are written by scuba equipment insurance companies have lots of lousy restrictions. For instance, if the computer in your Datamask flooded, it WOULDN'T be covered. Or, if you were getting ready to make your entry into the water and you dropped your mask (or camera gear), it WOULDN'T be covered. Well, heck, those events are what we have insurance for! So I looked around, and called around (including the guys at Scubatoys) and I was advised to simple insure my valuable stuff through a writer on my Home Owners' policy. Upon calling my Home Owners' insurance company, I found that the rate was half of what the scuba insurance companies' was... From my Home Owners' Insurance, it comes to only 1.5% of the worth of the equipment! Additionally, there are NO restrictions. My equipment is covered if it is lost or damaged in my luggage, if it is dropped off the boat, if it is flooded, or if it is stolen. Bottom line, call your Home Owners' insurance company. It's the best, and cheapest way to insure all your valuable equipment (Datamask, Regulator, BC, Camera Stuff and anything else you want to put on your Writer and policy). There's a much greater chance that your Datamask would accidentally be washed or knocked off of the boat or even stolen by someone who knows how valuable it is. Get insurance and rest easy. It's a very small price to pay when you consider how much we spend on equipment, trips, etc. Best Regards, Kent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom