Darwism award?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I felt sorry for the woman and her loved ones when I heard this on the radio, but dang?! If we are given that:
(1) Great white sharks live in California waters; and
(2) Seals of California waters are a common prey for such;
(3) How smart could it be to put on a wet suit and swim with seals - appearing to be the slowest member of the herd? :confused: Okay, I might do it, but I wouldn't blame the shark if I got attacked!
:sharky:

Swimmer Killed by Shark in California

By Associated Press

August 20, 2003, 3:00 PM EDT

AVILA BEACH, Calif. -- A 50-year-old college instructor taking a morning swim bled to death after she was attacked by a great white shark 15 to 18 feet long, preliminary autopsy results showed Wednesday.

Deborah Franzman of Nipomo was killed Tuesday as she swam 75 yards offshore alongside a group of seals. Witnesses reported seeing a large fin as Franzman screamed for help.

Lifeguards pulled Franzman to shore, where she died. Bite marks on her legs were consistent with those seen in previous attacks by great white sharks, San Luis Obispo County sheriff's Lt. Martin Basti said.

Shark expert Robert Lea, present during the autopsy, estimated the fish was between 15 and 18 feet long.

"That's incredibly large," Basti said.

An unknown species of shark was spotted in the area after the attack, Basti said.

Franzman likely bled to death after her left femoral artery was severed in the attack, Basti said.

Franzman's death marked the 10th fatal shark attack in California since 1952 and the first death since 1994, according to state Fish and Game records.

Franzman was a sociology instructor at Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria. She swam in the area by the Avila Beach Pier several times a week, friend Andrea Sanders said through tears.

"She loved it. She would talk about how fun it was to swim and play with the seals," Sanders said.

Franzman was wearing a full wetsuit and swim fins when she was attacked, Lea said. The state marine biologist said the shark may have mistaken Franzman, silhouetted against the surface, for a seal. The sharks are ambush predators and attack their prey from below.

"The water was full of blood," said Antonio Neotti, 15, an aspiring lifeguard who was nearby at the time.

Avila Beach, located about 200 miles northwest of Los Angeles, was closed to swimmers after the attack.

Great white sharks are a protected species in California.
Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

she probably knew the risks but loved what she was doing so much she didn't care. Who knows why we're here? I'm not sure if Darwinism expresses it. I'm not sure this would be much of a world if Darwinsim was the logic for all the choices we make.

dandydon; it's generally considered bad form to make comments like yours.
You have to take into account the source of the info; a newspaper.
Newspapers are notorious for giving out bum info, as they did in this case.
After all, according to 95% of the newspspers in the country, scuba divers all use "oxygen" tanks.
GWs are not often seen that far south.
Seals were only "in the area" & weren't being "swam with".

Dandydon - Thanks for posting helpful information. That is what this forum is all about, communicating. I don't see the "bad form" in passing along "published" information. Hey Bob, your weekend scuba outting should be at Avila Beach Pier. You can give us a report on Monday!

Bob3- I would agree with Dandydon's major point that the swimmer put herself at risk. It is certainly not something I would do.

As for GW's not being seen often that far south, we have them around Catalina (and have for many decades) due to sea lion and harbor seal populations here. I do not dive near the hauling areas or in very murky water (tough to avoid these days).

A candidate for the Darwin Awards? Probably not, people have done much more stupid things and easily earned their place!

Dr. Bill

This incident has been rehashed a lot already, but personally I think you are asking to get bitten if you swim on top of the water daily, she knew the risk and accepted it however, according to reports by her father zeN

The report wouldn't lead me to believe that she was a candidate for the Darwin Award. A college instructor, out for a swim, I may be wrong but I'd bet that even a drunk seal could outswim an olympic athlete. I doubt that she was intentionally swam with the seals.
It just goes to show you how smart those seals are......

-Crispy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom