Danglies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who preach about danglies need to be careful what pics they have out there :D

Just keep them off the coral.

My father likes to keep his pony reg dangling, it irritates me to no end. I eventually put a clip on his bc and "fix it" for him when we are at the descent line if he leaves it. One day he will do it himself.

I think the gadget-gear sellers are partly to blame. A well-meaning diver can attach a retractor to his BC and his console to eliminate dangling. But the retractor is 2 inches, the strap holding it is another 2 inches, and the wire itself is an inch or two, full retracted. So his console hangs 5 or six inches after he's secured it! And how about those corrugated hoses on BCs that are a 18 inches long? The velcro is great for the first 8 inches, the rest is hanging.

I think the gadget-gear sellers are partly to blame. A well-meaning diver can attach a retractor to his BC and his console to eliminate dangling. But the retractor is 2 inches, the strap holding it is another 2 inches, and the wire itself is an inch or two, full retracted. So his console hangs 5 or six inches after he's secured it! And how about those corrugated hoses on BCs that are a 18 inches long? The velcro is great for the first 8 inches, the rest is hanging.

The retractors and numerous gizmos are basically another failed attempt to address a training issue with gear.

Besides being a bit long, all retractors have a common trait - they break. Seriously, I have purchased at least 4 over the years, none survived more than 2 years. Many of the plastic clips and accessories also either failed to perform or broke also. The only survivor is the coiled lanyard on my camera and that's because the camera gets that extra tender loving care.

My best solution has been to borrow the tech / DIR hose routing and sizes. That eliminates most of the problems up front and the remaining bolt snap is not going to break. Even if I get lazy and don't clip my SPG, the hose is short enough not to present much of a problem. However, I have multiple sets of gear including a jacket and a more traditional reg set so I am unwilling to drink kool aid exclusively. The SPG gets tucked into my cumberbund and the octo hose gets pulled into a D-ring. Nothing fancy, but it works and all either takes a the realization that you are dangling and it is an issue, not always a big issue, but a potential.

I have a retractor for my gauge console that was not designed for dive gear- it was from an industrial application, and keeps my gauges snugged up and accessible. I can't live without it. A temporary friend on a dive trip gave it to me and I have no idea where he got it, unfortunately. My wife has a retractor designed for scuba gear and it has held up for 3 years now (only buy the heaviest duty and drag retractors, unless you are just putting a sale on them). One thing contributing to secod stange dangle is that many alternate air source retainers are crap. The only one I like and use hass a clip on one end and a square flexible and sturdy "rubber band" on the other. Accessories that divers clip on a d ring can dangle more than they realize, but I don't really have an answer for that. Regulators on pony bottles extra tanks in technical diving can be secured with a bungee or a big rubber band made by cutting a car inner tube (my preference).
As for the cause of uncorrected dangling, meaning no disrespect for the dead, Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin was perhaps the worst role model in history for this issue. He also touched everything under the water, stood on coral, and never secured his gauges or alternate air source. May he rest in peace. I never hesitate to suggest politely to other divers that they need to secure their danglies, and I carry small carribeaners and thick rubber bands to lend them if they have no other means. Thanks for the thread.
DivemasterDennis

I see it frequently here at the dive park. It takes good instruction about the reasons for not dangling equipment (both for the health of the environment and for the diver's own health... by not encouraging entanglement). If the cost of an octo keeper or gauge clip is considered limiting, I question whether that person should be diving at all. Of course if they are renting gear on a trip, the shop should provide such things.

I like to take this a step further and also eliminate the "halo" effect of having hoses coming way out from the tank, forming a big curve and then back to wherever the end is secured (or breathed from) . With longer hoses, even securing the ends with octo keepers, bolt snaps, etc. doesn't keep you from looking like a model of an atom swimming through the water. Shorter hoses help with this, as does a Hogarthian configuration (long hose wrapped, bungied backup). I actually run my SPG hose through a bungee on one of my cambands, so it stays streamlined but can still be read comfortably. Keeps you from dragging stuff, damaging gear, damaging the reef and picking up kelp.

Of course if they are renting gear on a trip, the shop should provide such things.

now that there is funny :rofl3: (true, but funny)

I see OW students like this all the time at different locations who are dangling away. Hard to believe that a shop providing initial OW certification would let the students participate in this manner.

Back
Top Bottom