Dangerous Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you @cameron. Yes, there will be other reports from students.

@CuzzA - The point of starting this thread was, primarily, to find out information about how strict PADI really is about who they license as instructors. I am not releasing the name for the moment, because I want to give this the best chance possible in finding a positive resolution. When the investigation has finished, I will gladly release the name.

Thank you @cameron. Yes, there will be other reports from students.

@CuzzA - The point of starting this thread was, primarily, to find out information about how strict PADI really is about who they license as instructors. I am not releasing the name for the moment, because I want to give this the best chance possible in finding a positive resolution. When the investigation has finished, I will gladly release the name.

@Lou PS, you said PADI closed the case. An attorney, wisely, advised you, and saved you a lot of money in the process that you don't have a case.

I have been in regular communication with PADI, who have failed to give me any detailed explanation after two and a half months, they have simply closed the case.

So, at this point it looks like nothing is going to happen. However, if you give us his name, no different than a review of any other company our there, it does three things. One, allows the other party to defend itself should your account of events not be accurate (I'm not saying they're not, but at this point we only have one side of the story). And two, it will pressure PADI to look into this further. There's a lot of PADI professionals on here that would want to protect the brand. It is after all their livelihood. Finally, I believe you now have a duty to make other's aware of these bad practices to prevent someone else from getting hurt. In my eyes, it's like knowing a guy is unstable and could potentially hurt someone, yet you didn't warn the public. Criminals get reported to authorities all the time and they slip through the cracks and bad things happen. My analogy may be a bit over the top, but I think you get my point.

In diving, there are no laws, per se'. We are self governing and often it's the power of the masses to make things happen. I can site one case where a diver was trained in an environment the instructor was not allowed to train him at, consequently he died at that place, though not with the instructor and it was a medical incident, nevertheless, he was doxed on ScubaBoard and the masses raised hell and ultimately he was expelled from two agencies.

So, if you truly believe this is as serious as you say it is, serious enough to consult an attorney, let everyone know and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

I take this as a wonderful example of how the vast majority of dive instructors do take their responsibility seriously and behave with honor.

I do have a true account of an instructor I have directly witnessed (within a two week period)
1. Dove leading students after two beers for breakfast after claiming to have been up all night drinking
2. Took a DSD to 80ft on their first dive experience.
3. Forged a signature on a Dr note to sign off a student who had heart issues.
4. Signed off on a rescue scenario a student never did.
5. Certified as open water a student in 32 hrs including theory, skipped pool and only did 3 dives
6. Drank up and slept with 2 students (one returned looking for her pants in the dive shop the next morning)
7. Hunted lobster while teaching leading a DSD class.
8. Put an OW student off the end of the dock to dive solo while he went to chat up a potential date on the other side of a building.
9. Dove two dive computers alternatively so the NDL didn't reduce on multiple repetitive dives.

That's a rarity, but that's my observation of one instructor's behaviour 4 years ago. Certainly there's some parts I missed. I had no personal issue with the guy, other than strongly disliking his treatment of students.

Cameron

HOLY GUACAMOLE. If one guy did that and I knew him I would have a personal issue with him.

@Lou PS, you said PADI closed the case. An attorney, wisely, advised you, and saved you a lot of money in the process that you don't have a case.

So, at this point it looks like nothing is going to happen. However, if you give us his name, no different than a review of any other company our there, it does three things. One, allows the other party to defend itself should your account of events not be accurate (I'm not saying they're not, but at this point we only have one side of the story). And two, it will pressure PADI to look into this further. There's a lot of PADI professionals on here that would want to protect the brand. It is after all their livelihood. Finally, I believe you now have a duty to make other's aware of these bad practices to prevent someone else from getting hurt. In my eyes, it's like knowing a guy is unstable and could potentially hurt someone, yet you didn't warn the public. Criminals get reported to authorities all the time and they slip through the cracks and bad things happen. My analogy may be a bit over the top, but I think you get my point.

In diving, there are no laws, per se'. We are self governing and often it's the power of the masses to make things happen. I can site one case where a diver was trained in an environment the instructor was not allowed to train him at, consequently he died at that place, though not with the instructor and it was a medical incident, nevertheless, he was doxed on ScubaBoard and the masses raised hell and ultimately he was expelled from two agencies.

So, if you truly believe this is as serious as you say it is, serious enough to consult an attorney, let everyone know and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

Exactly, Im a diving noob but I agree with every word here. And again my spider senses were tingling about this whole thread. She needs to name the person. also after the other poster mentioned knowing a similar type of individual however not as dangerous as this one I do believe it could be true but if this thread is true we all need to know to report him to padi again.

It’s funny that I’ve been labelled ‘a guy’ in this thread. Well I’m a 34 yr old woman, with a bit more sense than most and I have a bigger story to tell about this instructor. Sex, lies and videotape! Lock up your daughters!! no, but seriously, this is why I’m worried. This guy brings on young women, many in their early twenties who (the common thread) all like adventure. This guy is soon 40! He has almost an open door policy, will give you ‘the eye’, if you know what I mean. I never took him up on that, I was there only to dive, and he promised that he would deliver that. However, that’s exactly what I am talking about, this instructor knows how to bend the rules to make sure the problems are in your court and not his. I am more worried for these inexperienced young girls for the next time, who are lured in by this creep.

So, once he then asked me to leave... amazingly, the two other girls walked with me. In other words, half of his crew left. The instructor was gutted, you could tell, he wasn’t expecting that. Complete narcissist. The only person who stayed onboard was 1) the girl who was sleeping with the captain and had no money, and 2) the guy, who also meandered through life, happy to just be well fed and sailing on the water aka the chef.

the name Lou is a male name. At least in the USA so everyone is assuming you are a man. My name can be used as male or female so im not needling you just letting you know that here its a male name and my name Dale can be male or female. I am male though

@CuzzA, I have just received word that PADI will continue with the case, that I need to provide more evidence about 'he said / she said' statements. That, I can certainly do and I am amassing as we speak. It is up to PADI to suspend his licence now until further notice. With allegations such as I have, I am surprise why they haven't already done so.

the name Lou is a male name. At least in the USA so everyone is assuming you are a man. My name can be used as male or female so im not needling you just letting you know that here its a male name and my name Dale can be male or female. I am male though

Ever see the SNL skirt about “Pat”? :giggle:...

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program.

@CuzzA. You are right. And I can't wait any longer for PADI's slow reaction speed, it's taken 2.5 months just for them to start taking these issues seriously. This instructor doesn't deserve the title he has and he certainly didn't protect our safety when we were under his watch.

The instructor's name is Jason Lee Stone - PADI number Jason Stone OWSI-373446

The website that I found him on was Workaway.info - a website that attracts millennials and likes to muffle their negative reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom