Dangerous Darwin award nominees or fearless Inovators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here is a video I found on Youtube of two kids diving in there pool with homemade scuba gear.

YouTube - Homemade Scuba Gear

Here is a brief descripton form the site of how the kid made it:

This is some home-made scuba gear me and my friend put together summer of '06.

The main air tank is actually a garden sprayer, and holds about 8 liters (2 gallons) of air compressed at 40psi. The tank is encased in concrete to make it neutrally boyant. The tubes across my chest are filled with rocks, and help neutralize our bouyancy. This design allows us to dive for 2 minutes straight, 10 or 11 feet underwater. This whole setup cost us about $55.

We now have much better scuba gear, with a 10 gallon tank that can hold 80psi. It allows us to dive for 15 minutes straight at a depth of 10 or 11 feet. The new setup cost about $60.

Needless to say, don't try this at home.

I think it's pretty cool this kid has the drive and determination to be that creative.

God bless him.

He may cure cancer one day.

Tell him to go get an old fire extinguisher somewhere...isn't that what everyone used WAY back in the day?

The posted comments to the video on YouTube are the best part.

Some real Scoober Divin' experts have chimed in.

I'm assuming the only reason the kid hasn't gone deeper is because that's the max depth of the pool. The scary part is that he might be tempted to try out the local lake/ocean. If that should happen, his chances of curing cancer when he grows up are considerably diminished.

In the strict creationist view, he was submerged with divine intervention, in fact he was intelligently designed to perform the feat.
That said I think hes brilliant. And it appears he made a trigger second stage...probably a lesser failure point than some of the seconds on the market!

Those kids deserve a lot of credit for their ingenuity and then putting it to work.

The comments were a good laugh. Where did the Argon and getting bent at 10’ come into play?

You can’t see a lot from the video but it’s not hard to pump up a garden sprayer to 80+ pounds. The regulator appears to be nothing more than a vinyl hose from the sprayer to the mouth piece with an inline, one way gas bulb in the middle he squeezes to move the air.

I’d like to see some more on it. That would have been very high tech a hundred + years ago. :D

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom