DAN oxygen kit: Luxfer Jumbo-D Cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
LS,

I would like to order the DAN Soft-Sided Oxygen Unit ( https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/601-1030.html ). This kit includes a Luxfer Jumbo-D Cylinder. To import the Oxygen kit to The Netherlands, the cylinder must have the mark DOT3AL. DOT3AL is necessary for the approval of the cylinder according to the Dutch legislation.

DAN and Luxfer didn't respond to my question, therefore my question to ScubaBoard, is on the Luxfer Jumbo-D Cylinder the mark DOT3AL?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Edwin

Any cylinder available for sale and for use in the USA will have a DOT stamping. So rest assured for these cylinders it will be marked DOT3AL

I would suggest you buy an ordinary scuba tank with O2 approved regulator for emergency oxygen. Unless you are within very close response of an emergency medical facility a small cylinder like that will likely not have enough capacity for an injured diver. Also it is advised that with dive related injuries a diver be put on the highest possible dose of O2 and a demand style regulator like is found on ordinary scuba equipment is the best choice for that although it will not help an unconscious person.

That's why you order the DAN kit. It has everything you need for conscious or unconscious victim. Also if the person is merely unconscious they are usually still breathing. If the reg breathes easy enough you could theoretically hold the reg in their mouth and they would still breath from it. This is however a halfassed way to do things if you have the means for proper O2 delivery or can afford to have it. And a jumbo D can deliver up to 15-20 minutes of O2. Depending on the flow rate of course. This is where O2 provider training comes in. The O2 is to keep them alive and supply oxygen to the brain. It is up to the rescuer to determine the dose based on ETA of emergency response units, status of the victim, and severity of the injury. Some O2 is better than none. If you know you can get 20 minutes at 15 liters then go for it if EMT's are 15 minutes out. If they are 20-25 you may need to go to 10. I'm thinking that the OP has determined his needs based on location and availability of emergency services. THe DAN unit is ready to go and is simple to operate. And everything is together in one case all the time. Could you do this with a scuba tank? Sure. But by the time you put everything together it could run way more than the DAN kit and not be as complete. Just curious as to who your O2 provider cert is with? And why would you recommend a DIY setup when the DAN kit has been setup to handle dive emergencies and contains all the necessary equipment including masks, adjustable regulator for delivering proper flow, and detailed instructions should it become necessary for a non trained person to administer O2? And how do you set the proper delivery rate with a standard scuba reg? I see no settings for 2,4,6,10,15, or 25 on any reg I or my associates use.

Hey, Jim, a Scuba setup can be used for on-board decompression or in-water recompression. Yeah, I know, somebody doesn't like it, probably says it's dangerous, don't have a cert and instruction book, don't have a diploma, don't have a DAN decal, blah, blah. Jumbo D and all that stuff is Mickey Mouse. If the diver is going to carry a tiny cylinder of oxygen at least he should bypass DAN and purchase one of Luxfer's new 3000 psi medical cylinders. However, I agree with the DIY guy, carry a serious, steel, SCUBA type tank like the Heiser or Faber with 40 or more cf of oxygen. Carry an oxygen clean scuba regulator and also a mask setup with Harris oxygen regulator with a scuba yoke screwed into the body instead of the usual CGA 540. Oh, yeah, block one vent on the medical mask or install an extra check valve to prevent air drafting into the mask.

Thanks a lot for the information and suggestions. I'm glad I can import a cylinder from the US. Jumbo D - 9 lbs (640 liter, 2000 psi) - is just enough for two victims (worst case) concerning the locations where I dive related to a 911 ambulance response. It's indeed safer to buy a larger cylinder.

TC-3ALM 153 LUXFER
DOT-3AL 2216 [serial# and hydro follows]

It is a pretty nice kit to have around and a lot easier to pack than the waterproof case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom