DAN member?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bug

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many people were DAN members. I was thinking of getting dive insurance but my father says it isn't worth it.

Anybody have opinions? Or information that I should know.

I am only PADI OW cert. Looking to go AOW then Rescue withen the next year (give or take).

Thanks,
Matt

bug once bubbled...
I was just wondering how many people were DAN members. I was thinking of getting dive insurance but my father says it isn't worth it.

Anybody have opinions? Or information that I should know.

I am only PADI OW cert. Looking to go AOW then Rescue withen the next year (give or take).

Thanks,
Matt
From what I hear, a CG evac and chamber ride can cost upwards of 10-15k. You decide if it is worth it, but for only $100 per year I think it is a small price to pay for being covered just in case. I don't use my homeowner's insurance either, but if something happens I will be pretty glad I have it..

bug once bubbled...

I asked this same question in the Diving Medicine forum a few days ago. There's a lot of good info in the post so go check it out. Those guys convinced me to get insurance and I'm in the process of doing that now. There are a few options avaiable.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t17850/s.html

I am a member. We have health care in Ontario but as o-ring has stated it is expensive to go into a chamber or to use medevac. I figured with my luck If something went wrong I would be taken to an American chamber over a Canadian Chamber and have to figure out payment (Just kidding on that).

Reality is even if you don't want the insurance the DAN basic membership is worth getting. Supporting their research can only be seen as a positive thing.

I'm a long-time DAN member. My premiums not only pay for insurance coverage, but also go toward important research and education programs.

Cheap? That's a relative term, but worth every nickel even if I never need to file a claim.

Steven

Wouldnt dive with out it!! $64 dollars a year any gas any depth. If your under 18 and god for bid something happens your Dad will wish you had it. More then worth the $5.33 cents a month I spend on it.

As with any medical insurance, it only takes once to make you appreciate having it. It's well worth the low price.

My wife and I got back from a week long dive vacation in the Turks and Caicos Islands the end of September. The day after we returned to the states I noticed that my left shoulder was sore. Even though I followed my dive computer exactly, did extended safty stops after evey dive to be extra safe and even took a day off during the week to let my body off gas completely the DAN diving Doctor on call suggested that I see a local Doctor and be evaluated for DCS. After the ER Doc took a look at me he suggested that I take a ride in the chamber. Thank God everything seems to be ok now and that I had DAN Insurance. I got a copy of the bill, the hospital mailed to DAN and my insurance company, a week or so ago and the price for a 5 hour ride, $8600, and it didn't cost me a dime.

I've been a DAN member sense the mid 90's and have never used my DAN insurance before but IMHO it's worth every dime I've paied in not only because it goes to help fund research into diving related issues but also because $8600 is a little out of my price range and from what I've heard this was a cheap ride, like others here have said a chamber dive can cost upwards of $10,000 to $15,000.

The DAN Insurance is cheap compaired to the cost of a trip to the chamber.

Scott

I would get the insurance and in fact I did. Some agencies even require it in order to take certain classes. I have the most comprehensive package (I think the prefered member).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom