DAN America/SSS conflict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Our dive shop brought to the attention of our instructors a conflict between DAN America and the SSS Recompression Chamber Network concerning non-payment for recompression services and and the discontinuation of accepting DAN America insurance (SSS says their refusal only applies to DAN America, not the other DAN organizations). If you are unaware of this, I've included the links on the matter from both organizations below.

I would like to know is there anyone who has or knows of any incidences of either DAN refusing payment or one of the chambers refusing DAN America insurance? As an instructor, I've recommended DAN insurance to all of my students and use it myself. I would like to find out what the validity of the arguments made form these groups in the form of real incidents. Thanks.

http://www.sssnetwork.com/

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=734

I just returned from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, CA. I read in the local newspaper that the local camber, and those in several other countries, would not accept Dan Insurance. I spoke with the director of the local clinic that operates their Deco Chamber and she confirmed that fact BUT went on to statethat if I contacted DAN there would be no problem. She also stated that if I was diving with a local dive shop that supported their clinic, to the tune of $1/dive, there would be no problems receiving the necessary treatment. At $900 US/hr I wanted to make sure I was not wasting my premium dollars. When I got home, 3/24, I called DAN and spoke with Wane McNair who assured me that they were dealing with the problem and if I needed treatment I was fully covered with NO outof pocket expenses. He aslo sent me an email that reiterated our conversation. I'm comfortable with his explaination and will continue to maintain my DAN coverage. As an aside, I was on a hunting trip in the northern Yukon when another hunter had to be helicoptered out because of a very badly infected blister. You wouldn't believe the bill he got and he was not insured..

See Message #2 on the thread...:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom