Dam Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rat314

Registered
Reaction score
Springfield, Missouri 30 Miles North of Branson Mo
I have read many posts here from persons who have made the dive at Table Rock Dam but haven't yet done so myself.
Are there any special regulations or rules to follow when diving inside the Buoy line?
And if anyone is planning on diving this location in the next few weeks and you need a dive buddy feel free to e-mail me and maybe we can plan a dive.

All normal regulations apply although there are those who argue you don't need to have a dive flag since boat traffic is not allowed. It's not worth taking a chance on getting a water patrol officer on a bad day and getting fined to me so I fly one.
The most important thing when diving at the dam site is to use the outside restroom facilities. They just built these and they are very nice. The purpose is to keep water off the floor in the visitor center. They threatened to close the area to divers after several people had slipped on water that had dripped off wet divers. Have fun.

This dive area is awesome...there is a line around 25-30ft and it goes down to around 86ft. Then go to the right once you get down there and drop down the slope as deep as you want to go at an angle and then head straight back up the slope, then level off around 60-80 and head back.. very cool bluffs and rocks!! I will never get tired of that dive...

LakeScubaDiver:
This dive area is awesome...there is a line around 25-30ft and it goes down to around 86ft. Then go to the right once you get down there and drop down the slope as deep as you want to go at an angle and then head straight back up the slope, then level off around 60-80 and head back.. very cool bluffs and rocks!! I will never get tired of that dive...

Can you explain where the line is?

Been there twice and haven't seen it.

Also what is the fine for diving without a flag? I have one but haven't used it while I dove at that site.. Yes... Yes... I know

To find the line, enter from the wooden steps, go straight out until you hit about 35' deep and follow the bluff toward the dam.

No idea on the fine. Flying the flag is a good habit to get into wherever you're diving. At least a few boaters don't think it's a slalom marker

ozarkjim:
To find the line, enter from the wooden steps, go straight out until you hit about 35' deep and follow the bluff toward the dam.

I've been there and dove that area and did pretty much as you just said, but I didn't find any rope line out there. By line, do you and he perhaps refer to the rock bluff that's in kind of a curving line?

The interesting thing is I've yet to see somebody use a flag out there. I think the thing to do is call, write, or email

US Army Corps of Engineers
P.O. Box 1109
Branson, MO 65615-1109
Phone: 417-334-4101
Email: cewsl-co-uw@usace.army.mil

and see what they have to say about it because they manage it. By the way, the last time a ranger talked to me there it was to inform me that things are changing and they will be implementing fee's.

cummings66:
I've been there and dove that area and did pretty much as you just said, but I didn't find any rope line out there. By line, do you and he perhaps refer to the rock bluff that's in kind of a curving line?

There is a line (actually IIRC it's a cable) but it's not on the surface. It's about 15' out in the middle starting in about 12 feet of water and heading down...

Down there last weekend. There is a yellow poly rope at about 28' right now. Lake is down by at least five feet now. Follow directions from Ozarkjim above. FYI, the pvc grid top is in about 12' right now. I would think the line is about 1/2 way b/w the wooden and concrete stairs, maybe a little closer to the concrete ones.

modiver71:
Down there last weekend. There is a yellow poly rope at about 28' right now. Lake is down by at least five feet now. Follow directions from Ozarkjim above. FYI, the pvc grid top is in about 12' right now. I would think the line is about 1/2 way b/w the wooden and concrete stairs, maybe a little closer to the concrete ones.

Yes, yellow poly rope. Pretty much straight out from the concrete stairs. Makes a great reference line for doing AOW deep dive.

The dive site is excellent, as already said. Great wall dive to as deep as you want to go (or as shallow as you want). Bluegill are plentiful above the thermocline and are used to being fed the clams you can find there. Great spot to see huge crawfish on a night dive as well.

theskull

We would go down the concrete stairs closest to the dam, then get in right there, then follow the bottom straight out and slightly to the right til around 30' or so and this big thick white rope is attached to a tree stump. It goes down to around 85' attached to a big tree. I hope someone didn't cut or remove it. It followed the bluffs nicely and got you down to a good starting point for an awesome dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom