Dacor Viper Octo Hissing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
We've got two Dacor Viper octo's in the family, and two Mares MV's (which looks like a re-badged Dacor Viper). I like the design very much, but...

My daughter's Dacor Viper has a repeated tendency to hiss slightly. We've noticed this for a couple of years, with annual service in between. We had a dive shop try to adjust it while we were on vacation, but it was still hissing. Not enough to cut short a dive, but...

Someone here mentioned there was a problem with the LP seat in the Viper/MV? To the extent that he had to carry spare seats? Would that have anything to do with this?

No problem with the other Viper or the two MV's.

Thanks!

--Marek

Sometimes the problem is really the HP seat in the 1st stage. IP builds up until one of the 2nd stages starts bubbling.

Check IP with an IP gauge, or if you don't have a gauge, simply swap out seconds --- see if the problem moves with the Viper octo or stays with the 1st stage.

Adjusting the octo won't fix the problem if it is an IP creep problem in the 1st stage. Purging either 2nd may stop the bubbling for a few seconds.

Charlie99:
Sometimes the problem is really the HP seat in the 1st stage. IP builds up until one of the 2nd stages starts bubbling.
Unfortunately, I don't have my own tanks. Have to take the reg in for that.

Thanks for the idea, though!

--Marek

Hi Marek,

The regs need to be inspected by a qualified technician. There is no problem with the seats in general, the fact that your others work supports this. Please have it checked out. The Dacor Viper and Mares MV are the same 2nd stage.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom