Dacor Viper Metal vs. Zeagle flathead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I already own the Dacor Viper Metal. I have for 4 years without any problems. Very reliable for me and no issues.

However, I am upgrading a lot of gear. I bought a drysuit, bands for doubles and a manifold for doubles (tanks may come this summer. I also started diving BP/W last summer. I dive tropically and in the local cold, dark, deep lakes/quarries. I am looking to ramp up my diving.

I have been considering buying a Zeagle Flathead reg and octo. Is there a real need to do this, or am I just in the mood to buy a bunch of new Scuba Toys? Is there a distinct advantage to making the move?

Also-my left ear bugs me some when I dive. It gets clogged and collects fluid, but it is not infected. I never have trouble clear my ears. The Dacor exhaust port blows only out the left side. So my left ear gets a lot of the exhaust in a head down position. Could this be related to my ear troubles? Will a different reg help this?

I do not want to start a "my reg is better than your reg thread". I am wanting to know if this upgrade is something that I need.

Thanks!

IMHO, only you can answer that question. I have a Flathead and love it...a lot better than the Oceanic Delta 4 that I was renting.

I'd expect service kits and parts for your Dacor reg will become increasing harder to come by. IMHO you can't go wrong with the Zeagle regs. If you want to save a couple bucks take a look at the DS-V.

Have you considered a Mares Abyss? Is your Dacor reg a pre-2000 model? If so, it may be eligible for the offer below:

DACOR REGULATORS PRODUCED IN THE U.S. PRIOR TO THE YEAR 2000 MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR AN UPGRADE PROGRAM, SEE YOUR PARTICIPATING AUTHORIZED MARES/DACOR DEALER FOR DETAILS.

NORWALK, Conn. (August 1, 2005) MARES/DACOR Diving Division of HEAD USA will offer 4 options for consumers to upgrade their Dacor Regulators that were produced in the U.S. by the old Dacor manufacturer prior to it’s acquisition by Mares Diving in 1999.

Phil Mintz, Director of Sales and Marketing states “Unfortunately the parts suppliers for regulators produced by Dacor prior to our acquisition destroyed the molds when we moved production to our facility in Rapallo, Italy”. “In order to clarify which regulators can be serviced, a complete list has been sent to our Authorized Dealers along with the eligibility and required forms for the upgrade program”.

Consumers who qualify for the upgrade can choose from four options: two entry priced regulators (Dacor Eagle Sport or Mares MR12 Rebel) and two premium regulators (Dacor Eagle DPD or Mares Abyss 05). Details and pricing are available at participating Mares/Dacor Authorized Dealers. This program will be valid through September 30, 2006. Offer only valid in U.S. & Canada.

The telephone number for the Diving Division is 203 855 0631; fax 203 866 9573; www.mares.com, www.divedacor.com, www.sporasubusa.com.
For HEAD USA information, log onto www.head.com.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110024
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=107121

No, I am not elidgable. The Viper metal was made by Mares... I asked Larry at SCUBATOYS.

DivingCRNA:
Also-my left ear bugs me some when I dive. It gets clogged and collects fluid, but it is not infected. I never have trouble clear my ears. The Dacor exhaust port blows only out the left side. So my left ear gets a lot of the exhaust in a head down position. Could this be related to my ear troubles? Will a different reg help this?
I don't know if a new regulator will make a difference, but the backplate might.

By placing more of the weight you need over your lungs instead of around your waist you may discover that your trim is better. For the exhaust bubbles to really have an impact on your ears your head would need to be at somthing like a 45 degree angle. This would have the bubbles leaving from somwhere around your mouth and then passing directly over your ear(s). If your trim is horizontal even if you tilt your head up to look forward occasionally the bubbles will more likely pass either your ear lobes or the area that we think of as below our ears. If the bubbles are the problem then this seems like the solution.

Of course I do understand that you have had the plate and been diving with it for a while now as your original post indicates. Just grasping at straws!

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

I have been diving the backplate with the dacor reg since the summer and still have ear trouble. Maybe I have the ear trouble anyway, but the bubble irritate it.

Maybe a rebreather woud fix it! LOL

I dive a Viper Metal also, but have had no left ear problems. However, most of my diving is cold water, and thus I'm wearing a hood.

When I bought my Viper Metal, I was told the internal parts are the same / similar to the internals for the newer Mares first stages, and getting parts would not be a problem. FWIW.

My biggest problem currently with the Viper Metal first stage how to rout hoses using a bungeed backup and 5' hose on my primary. The swivel port is the DFC port, so I'd like my primary to be on that, but I have problems with the backup hose getting caught on the primary hose when as it swivels around. I moved the backup to the swivel port last dive which solved the routing issue, but I did notice a difference when breathing.

I've played around with rotating the first stage, but I can't seem to find a good angle that works for every hose.

djsmokyc:
I dive a Viper Metal also, but have had no left ear problems. However, most of my diving is cold water, and thus I'm wearing a hood.

When I bought my Viper Metal, I was told the internal parts are the same / similar to the internals for the newer Mares first stages, and getting parts would not be a problem. FWIW.

My biggest problem currently with the Viper Metal first stage how to rout hoses using a bungeed backup and 5' hose on my primary. The swivel port is the DFC port, so I'd like my primary to be on that, but I have problems with the backup hose getting caught on the primary hose when as it swivels around. I moved the backup to the swivel port last dive which solved the routing issue, but I did notice a difference when breathing.

I've played around with rotating the first stage, but I can't seem to find a good angle that works for every hose.

I never thought of that. I am also looking at gett a 5 foot or 7 foot hose. I am not sure what I would do about routing it with the swivel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom