DACOR, UK-USA company still alive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
G

Grandad83

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I have just been given a set of dacor eagle diving regs. I’ve just taken them to a dive shop near me for a service where they told me how old they were, and that they are basically obsolete because the company doesn’t exist anymore, no parts etc etc. fine. I’m in the UK btw.
Then they said, they think the company is still going in the US and if I have access I may be able to get them sorted out over there.
So my question is this : Does DACOR still exist in the USA and can I get some regs serviced over there?
Note-please don’t get hung up on geography ( I have good access to the USA )

nope

there were some parts of the last models that could use Mares components (conpany that aquired, then killed them off), but for the most part DACOR is obsolete and non-servicable.

changing response to "maybe"...

Search SB to check these threads... there might be options, but who knows...

(screenshot, not links, search with these words as titles)

1729856258609.png

Hello, I have just been given a set of dacor eagle diving regs. I’ve just taken them to a dive shop near me for a service where they told me how old they were, and that they are basically obsolete because the company doesn’t exist anymore, no parts etc etc. fine. I’m in the UK btw.
Then they said, they think the company is still going in the US and if I have access I may be able to get them sorted out over there.
So my question is this : Does DACOR still exist in the USA and can I get some regs serviced over there?
Hello Grandad83. DACOR has always been my ‘top choice’ in SHRs since ‘77. I recently got my Pacer overhauled. If you want service and parts, and are looking for someone who may be able to service and replace parts, may I suggest Tarpoon Diving Center. I have had great luck finding parts for mine as well as my AMF Voit MR12II regulator. Contact Stephanie in Hialeah, FL Wed, Fri, & Sat. After 10:00am EST. She is very helpful, professional and should be able to tell you more about yours. BTW, Mares bought out DACOR a while back but many of Mares parts match DACOR and AMF Voit SHR parts…there are others with VDH in FL who are helpful as well. Alec Pierce of Brechin ON Canada is also a great choice.

Hello Grandad83. DACOR has always been my ‘top choice’ in SHRs since ‘77. I recently got my Pacer overhauled. If you want service and parts, and are looking for someone who may be able to service and replace parts, may I suggest Tarpoon Diving Center. I have had great luck finding parts for mine as well as my AMF Voit MR12II regulator. Contact Stephanie in Hialeah, FL Wed, Fri, & Sat. After 10:00am EST. She is very helpful, professional and should be able to tell you more about yours. BTW, Mares bought out DACOR a while back but many of Mares parts match DACOR and AMF Voit SHR parts…there are others with VDH in FL who are helpful as well. Alec Pierce of Brechin ON Canada is also a great choice.
Thanks , Bob. The Scuba Museum another excellent choice in parts and who can service the Dacor regs…🙂

Sam Davison -- who founded DACOR -- asked me in 1967 to help him test his new vented fins that he was developing to compete with Jetfins. We spent an evening at a swimming pool with some poor diver going back and forth in the pool trying out different designs and fins. I was supposed to be the fluid dynamics expert who would explain why some things worked and others didn't. I wanted to put some dye in the water so I could see the vortices shed by the various fins. Sam said no, so did the pool management. I added nothing to the tests. My pay was a hotdog from Nathan's.
There was an article about those tests in Skin Diver Magazine, in early 1968, I think,

My parts for old Dacor comes from E-Bay, as there are many Dacor regulators on sale there, cheap. Dacor made its regulators to last, and an annual service is rarely needed for any Dacor regulator. If you look at the way a first stage is made, both piston and diaphragm regulators (Dacor made both) show no wear when not pressurized. So a regulator that has not been used in 10 years has no wear on the seat in the first stage in that ten years. I have several Dacor regulators that I continue to use, and they are really nice breathing regulators, except their first single hose, the Dacor Dart; it was their first attempt, and while acceptable, won't meet the standards of the Olypmic or Pacer series. Below are two Dacor repair manuals for anyone to use.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Dacor Regs Vol 2 1st stages Pt 1 .pdf
    9.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Dacor Regs Vol 2 1st stages Pt 2.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 11
Do you have a reason for wanting to have the Dacor Eagle rebuilt other than the fact that they were given to you?
Speaking as someone who sees value in several of the Dacor regulators made during the 80's and 90's and not knocking the brand, but the Eagle was made at the very end and is one of the least desirable regulators sold with the Dacor name. Perhaps worthy of a low cost DIY rebuild but it would be hard to justify the cost of shipping it out for service unless it has sentimental value or similar.

Thank you folks for your feedback , I think I’m gathering a picture that if I’m a fan of the brand and have a proclivity towards these Reg’s , then there are resources over there for me. But, I don’t think I’m super bothered about them, and I could spend similar money overall on just getting a new set. Thank you folks , I am going to look into a couple of the suggestions that have been made here though before I write them off 👍🤓

I have these magnificent ancient Dacor regs, that I opened and cleaned myself, No Dacor parts required

150 169a (1).JPG

Now I'm off to change the engine in my car, there's nothing wrong with it but one came in the service kit

Back
Top Bottom