Dacor regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bajan Diver

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Dacor Viper regulator. Has anybody had any experience with this- is it a good reg? Most of my diving now is in the Caribbean at 25m, but I would like to go to deeper depths perhaps 40 to 60m. Can this regulator stand up? Is this a good buy- also, if its not, what else is out there that will work well and allow me to breathe easy? I need to reg that I can truly rely on when I start doing deeper dives.

Thanks.

Here is an excerpt from the Rodales Scuba Diving website:

Manufacturer & Model: DACOR Viper / Price: $350
First Stage: Balanced diaphragm
Ports: High: 2 / Low: 4
First-Stage Swivel: No / Second Stage: Unbalanced
Second-Stage Adjustments: None
Overall Test Results:
Subjective: Good
Simulator: Good to excellent
Strengths: Streamlined shape. Easy breather in swimming position.
Weaknesses: Bubble interference on left side. Weak purge.

And a finally a link to their test results page:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/html/200210regs_charts.html

First off, ignore everything Rodales has ever written because it's some of the most inconsistent pap committed to ink (with all due respect, JES - not directed at you.) Rodales is not well respected around here with good reason.

Second, know Dacor is notorious for not supporting regulators that are a few years old. They just stop making parts for them.

Third, Dacor doesn't have a stellar rep around here in the first place. For the money, get a Titan LX, or perhaps even a low end Apeks or Scubapro, and you'll be far happier.

Bajan Diver:
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Dacor Viper regulator. Has anybody had any experience with this- is it a good reg? Most of my diving now is in the Caribbean at 25m, but I would like to go to deeper depths perhaps 40 to 60m. Can this regulator stand up? Is this a good buy- also, if its not, what else is out there that will work well and allow me to breathe easy? I need to reg that I can truly rely on when I start doing deeper dives.

Thanks.

i've talked to guys who used this reg and love it. all of them have gone to 60m.

one thing i liked about this reg is the price. I can get it at scubatoys.com (LDS in dallas) for $158.95 and the octo for like 84. now if you diving in cold water and want the viper i would say look into the viper gold and viper metal (379 and 359).

about the parts. talk to you dive shops. I know my dive shop bought a few cases of parts for this reg so i'm good on parts for a number of years.

you will find many people on this board who hate dacor or only like apexs. talk around. Find people who have owned this reg and asked them.
many people refer to the 1st viper when they say it has problems. many of which have been fixed in the viper america, viper gold and metal.

I would look at one of the bigger companies (Aqualung, Apeks, Scubapro) for a regulator. Dacor was bought out by Mares, and has since gone thru alot of changes. I would not be surprised that in ten years, there is no more Dacor. Mares has already cut the line down significantly, and has stopped stocking alot of the parts for the older Dacor regs. So, I wouldnt get any Dacor reg.

LUBOLD8431:
I would look at one of the bigger companies (Aqualung, Apeks, Scubapro) for a regulator. Dacor was bought out by Mares, and has since gone thru alot of changes. I would not be surprised that in ten years, there is no more Dacor. Mares has already cut the line down significantly, and has stopped stocking alot of the parts for the older Dacor regs. So, I wouldnt get any Dacor reg.

LUBOLD8431,

Thanks for the information, that explains why my Dacor Extreme Plus is still sitting at the LDS waiting on parts. )-:

I really have enjoyed this regulator but I will definitely be looking elsewhere with your information in hand.

Bajan Diver:
Hi,

Thanks.
I've had one to 43 meters. It is a good reg and easy to work on. There are a couple of issues, although neither is serious. The first issue is a small purge button. The second issue is that some of these regs have been known to freeflow, and when they do the only solution is to de-tune the first stage by dropping the intermediate pressure. There is no good way to up the cracking pressure in the second stage to fix the freeflow. Personally, I like them. However, I dive an Apeks TX100 and have a Marex MR12 Voltrex on my pony. I like either of these a lot more than the Viper.

I have been diving a dacor viper and have had no problem with it. I am really partial to side exhaust regs anyway. I know some insturctors that love them, and i know some that dont.
I have never had a problem with free flow and it has even ben abused at times. True it does have a small purge, but if you dont freak out when you need it you will find it easily

JES:
LUBOLD8431,

Thanks for the information, that explains why my Dacor Extreme Plus is still sitting at the LDS waiting on parts. )-:

I really have enjoyed this regulator but I will definitely be looking elsewhere with your information in hand.

Even if they do get the parts in, expect to pay a bunch for them. Dacor jacked up the cost for the older HP seats and various other parts. The HP seat alone now costs more than entire kits for other regs.

Lane Zimmer:
Even if they do get the parts in, expect to pay a bunch for them. Dacor jacked up the cost for the older HP seats and various other parts. The HP seat alone now costs more than entire kits for other regs.

Lane,

That is depressing! )-:

I appreciate the info. I guess I'll be purchasing a new regulator sooner than I thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom