Dacor gauge adapter for ScubaPro Mk 2???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nearbeer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
All,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I am a very inexperienced diver with a whopping 7 dives under my belt.

I bought gear off of a co-worker 2 months ago; he hadn't been diving since 1999 so he was looking to get rid of his gear. As part of the deal, I had to buy his wife's gear also and I ended up with a Dacor set of gauges + regulators as well as a Scubapro Mk 2 1st + 2nd stage.

Local dive shop won't touch the Dacor so I had the ScubaPro rebuilt; when I picked it up, the tech told me that the Dacor gauges won't fit the Mk 2 1st stage.

Is there an adapter to have the Dacor gauges work with the Mk 2 first stage?

Thanks for your help and opinion.

/R,

NearBeer

Yes, they are just thread size adapters. Should cost about $5 or $6 dollars new, though this dive shop you are dealing with might double the price, and suggest that new gauges will prevent you from a terrible fate. New divers in some shops are like chickens in a den of foxes. A honest tech would have offered you the adapters immediately. They have no connection with accuracy or function at all. Just fit.

Older gauges or more accurately HP hoses, used the same thread size as the LP hoses, which is 3/8-24 as opposed to the new standard for high pressure hoses which is 7/16-20. LP hoses (for the most part- there are a few exceptions) remain 3/8. Depending on it's age, your first stage could have either a 3/8 (old size) or 7/16 (new size) port and the same goes for the gauges, they could be either one. There are a couple of ways to resolve this issue. The least expensive way is to simply use an adapter, both 3/8M to 7/16F and 7/19M to 3/8F are available, which you need depends on which size each part has. http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/1st-Stage-Hose-Adapters-169 the adapters you want are one of the 2 at the lower left of the chart. Great price at $4 too, Piranha is great to work with as well.
You simply insert the adapter between the hose and first stage ($7-14). The next option is to replace the HP hose-$35-40 with the one that matches your first stage. New hoses in both sizes are available and cost about the same price although it is not uncommon for dive shops to not stock the 3/8 size HP hose since they are not too common these days. If the hose is showing much sign of wear it migh be the best option to so ahead and replace it.

If your reg has the 3/8 port, I suggest going with the adapter even if you replace the hose. Reason being new 3/8 hoses are harder come by and if you need to quickly swap the gauge to a different reg or need a different/new hose for some reason the new standard is easier to deal with. I dive and travel with a lot of older regs which have the 3/8 ports. When I replace hoses I stick with the 3/8 size but always carry a set of adapters (both sizes) just in case and I have had the occasion to need them.

As a side note, while the Dacor first stages are difficult to find parts for, most of the second stages parts are not a problem since they use generic parts. Most dive shops will not touch them, mainly for economic reasons (with the BS of liability as their excuse). Depending on the model, some Dacors are very good second stages so don't dismiss them too quickly. If they are one of the better models, adding a servicable first stage to them and finding a shop that will service them may be a good option for an inexpensive reg.

Agelis & Herman,

Many thanks for the great info! I may ask the dive shop if they can make a new hose with the correct fittings; if not, I'll go with the adapters. Again, many thanks for the advice.

In search of my next cold one,

NearBeer

Agelis & Herman,

Many thanks for the great info! I may ask the dive shop if they can make a new hose with the correct fittings; if not, I'll go with the adapters. Again, many thanks for the advice.

In search of my next cold one,

NearBeer

The "new hose" is already made. The shop would just have to order it. If they were not more interested in selling you more than you need, they could have taken care of the problem when you first came in. This might be a great opportunity to fine a good, new shop. Yours seems to be more interested in making it difficult for you unless you spend more.

I neglected to point out something that you may not be aware of. The gauge itself and the HP hose are 2 different parts, you can replace just the hose and keep the same gauge, or vise versa for that matter. The shop may suggest you replace the "spool" which is part of the swivel between the gauge and hose, that is a good idea or at least replace the orings on it when you replace the hose..... for that matter even if you don't replace the hose, it's a good idea to replace the spool orings reguardless of the outcome. They leak more than any other part on a reg and should be replaced when you service a reg.

And like AWAP said, the old size hose is a standard part already made up, although it is common for newer shops not to carry them. It can be ordered from a company called Trident which almost every LSD in the country buys stuff from. If they tell you they can't get it, look around the small goodie rack, if you see anything made my Trident they are either totally ignorant or BSing you, it comes from the same place. In either case, time to find a different shop.

Old Dacor 1st stage regulators have 3/8 HP female ports. New SPG HP hoses come with 7/16 male thread. To match them, an adaptor is required to connect the standard 7/16 male thead to the 3/8 female thread of the 1st stage. The adaptor is a standard piece. The part number is AA51.
aa51 - Search Results for aa51 - LeisurePro

Old Dacor SPGs should come with 3/8 male thread, so, to use it with a modern 1st stage regulator with 7/16 female thread, you should buy the complementary adaptor, part number AA50.
aa50 - Search Results for aa50 - LeisurePro

Attachments

• AA51 7-16 to 3-8 adapter.JPG
    AA51 7-16 to 3-8 adapter.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 35
  • AA50 3-8 to 7-16 adapter.JPG
    AA50 3-8 to 7-16 adapter.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Dacor 900.jpg
    Dacor 900.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 42

Back