Dacor Fan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, like can happen when you call somebodys dog a mutt, but the best regulators Dacor ever made, the only ones worth owning, were the Pacers, and anything that came after the Pacers , well , they were mutts.
When Sam Davidson died Dacor went through a changing of the guard and engineering changes that just made things different and weird. It was like they got offered a grant for engineering the design that used the most 0 rings. The family still owned the company but the design wasn't competative in the marketplace.
Eventually, Mares bought dacor and thought so little of the design that they didn't even bother moving the tooling they closed the Northfield, Il facility.
Thus no more parts. 20 years ago or so.

I agree. If parts can be found, the older Dacors were good regs, and would be worth rebuilding. I know there will be people who will say that they just LOVE the later offerings, but they were abortions which would be best used a paperweights.

360, 960 and 600 (maybe 950) are the only ones I'd even consider worth hunting parts for.

360, 960 and 600 (maybe 950) are the only ones I'd even consider worth hunting parts for.

Good to know, as I have a practically brand new 360 with two Pacer XPE second stages that got thrown in my lap.

Well Thanks Fishpie Those ARE the models I have. 4-960, 1-950, 2-360 a 460 and a Quantum. Seems like they were the Good ones.

www.sportslinkup.com/shop/0-Dacor-scuba-2.html - Cached

CC Harley. I know how you feel. Up here in Canada, regulator/BCD/dive computer service shops are few and far between. I too have been diving on and off for 25 years, and had the full-meal deal: Dacor 960 Reg with XLB second stage and octo with Dacor depth gague with integrated dive timer. Also has Dacor BCD, Dacor Vista mask, Dacor Turbo III fins and Dacor "Microbrain" dive computer (one of the first !). The local dive shop here refused to do any more service on them. When I suggested I would source parts, they said they couldn't do ANY service on Dacor products, or they would "lose their certification" (whatever THAT means !). So I had to take my beloved, trusty old 960 and just dump it in the garbage !!! $1200 shot ! Due to that traumatic experience, I will never buy a regulator again ! It's rentals for me from now on....
Andrew Klinzmann

It's too bad you dumped the Dacor reg. Trident is making some aftermarket parts for them. I just did a 950 with a Pacer xle with Trident parts.

Hey, that stuff is nothing to feel bad about. I'm a Dacor fan myself. My personal reg setup includes an old Pacer and Pacer Aero. They really are great regs.
I'm happy to see there's someone else out there still diving it.
:clapping:

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, like can happen when you call somebodys dog a mutt, but the best regulators Dacor ever made, the only ones worth owning, were the Pacers, and anything that came after the Pacers , well , they were mutts.
Then I got lucky, because I bought a couple of them, probably based on the dive shop's sales pitch. Though I didn't have a basis for comparison then, I can say now that they breathed easily and dryly. They were heavy though, and as my dive travel changed from taking the subway to flying they became a burden.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom