Da Aquamaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive it like it was meant to be, J valve or spg on a banjo adapter, steel 72, military harness.

Using a double hose with modern gear such as a heavy, thick, V channel tech plate with the tank hiked up over your head so you can "reach the valves" will result in a bad experience. The tank must be low and close to the back, a military harness provides that.

Pick up a old copy of The New Science of Skin and Scuba or Basic Scuba, pre 1970 editions. However, since your DA has cage valves in the mouthpiece, you do not have to do the rolling and milking to clear a can flood.

You will need to rebuild or have rebuilt the regulator.

Vintage Double Hose is a good source for parts and repairs.

Got another fish on the line, set the hook, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsssssssssssss, set that drag!!!!!!!! he is taking line out, rod up! Hook'um.

N

Yeah, I'm hooked, as soon as I picked up that aquamaster I knew I had to have it. but now I'm stuck with the dilemma of being the only vintage dive enthusiast in the upper penninsula, I've just got to figure out a way of getting my buddy hooked!

BTW, I just ordered a 1966 copy of "The New Science of Skin and Scuba."
As I read these posts I realized there's a lot to know. what's a military rig? what's a banjo? what's the signifance of the J Valve? the list is almost endless at this juncture.

I was heavily involved in historical reenacting before Scuba, now it looks like I can combine interests! :dork2: I do want to dive this reg in its proper "context" though but I can't get away from the obvious lack of redundancy. do folks typically dive with a pony back up?

I signed on to the VDH forum the other day but haven't posted yet. I'm off to intoduce myself over there now; I fear I may not return:wink:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm hooked, as soon as I picked up that aquamaster I knew I had to have it. but now I'm stuck with the dilemma of being the only vintage dive enthusiast in the upper penninsula, I've just got to figure out a way of getting my buddy hooked!

BTW, I just ordered a 1966 copy of "The New Science of Skin and Scuba."
As I read these posts I realized there's a lot to know. what's a military rig? what's a banjo? what's the signifance of the J Valve? the list is almost endless at this juncture.

I was heavily involved in historical reenacting before Scuba, now it looks like I can combine interests! :dork2: I do want to dive this reg in its proper "context" but I can't get away from the obvious lack of redundancy. do folks typically dive with a pony back up?

I signed on to the VDH forum the other day but haven't posted yet. I'm off to intoduce myself over there now; I fear I may not return:wink:

what's the significance of the J valve?

Redundancy is way over hyped. I have never in my 51 years of diving used any type of redundancy nor have I ever had need for it.

Thr J valve is a reserve device that saves 300 to 500 psi as way to warn you the tank is low. It was all that was avaiable before the SPG was invented. When it became hard to inhale the J valve was activated to release the 300 to 500 psi.

The j valve is a tank valve with a reserve lever. When the tank gets low, usually around 300-500 PSI, a spring operated seat closes and blocks most of the air flow to the reg. This is your indication that the tank is low, so you flip the lever which opens up the flow and head for the surface. There was often a rod connected to the lever that made it easier to reach.

Redundancy is easy if your reg has a hookah port, almost all DAs do. You can get an adapter (vdh sells them) and connect an alternate 2nd stage. You can even get a "T" fitting for the adapter that would allow you to connect an alternate, LP inflator hose, and dry suit inflator, although the routing for all of those would be a bit messy. The LP inflator and alternate rout okay. The banjo fitting, if you haven't seen one, is basically an adapter that fits between the reg and the tank valve and provides a HP port for an SPG.

But, the phoenix nozzle solves all these problems, and gives you a much beefier yoke, and more stable IP, and higher flow.

Redundancy is way over hyped. I have never in my 51 years of diving used any type of redundancy nor have I ever had need for it.

Thr J valve is a reserve device that saves 300 to 500 psi as way to warn you the tank is low. It was all that was avaiable before the SPG was invented. When it became hard to inhale the J valve was activated to release the 300 to 500 psi.

Thanks Capt. I guess redundancy evolved as the sport evolved?

I see from your avatar that you're wearing a horse collar? is this the "BC" of the time?

My Aquamaster was acquired by my buddy who picked it up from the estate of a vintage diver. So it has been rebuilt, but it hasn't been in the water in probably over 5 years. I plan on getting it in for a complete overhaul in the next couple of months.

I think my buddy has a J valve ow two lying around his shop I might try and talk him out of. but i'm not in a hurry, I need to do my homework before I jump in.

Thanks Capt. I guess redundancy evolved as the sport evolved?

I see from your avatar that you're wearing a horse collar? is this the "BC" of the time?

My Aquamaster was acquired by my buddy who picked it up from the estate of a vintage diver. So it has been rebuilt, but it hasn't been in the water in probably over 5 years. I plan on getting it in for a complete overhaul in the next couple of months.

I think my buddy has a J valve ow two lying around his shop I might try and talk him out of. but i'm not in a hurry, I need to do my homework before I jump in.

The BC evolved from the surface flotation vest which today is called a snorkle vest. The first BC's were oral inflation only, no power inflators. The jacket BC came along later. Actually true vintage diving is with no BC at all or just a surface flotation vest.

DarthWader,

The "horse collar" originated as the "Mae West" during WWII for fliers and others on the water. It was a "life vest" and designed to keep a person head-up in the water during an emergency. As the double hose regulators were coming toward an end, we (I had a part in it) were defining a different problem of buoyancy compensation. Divers, particularly in cold water, used primarily a wet suit, and as we went deeper, the wet suits buoyancy decreased as the closed cell bubbles were crushed by the water pressure. We needed something to "compensate" for this buoyancy loss. We came up with many ideas. The worst of these, in my opinion, was what we currently have with a jacket mounted to the the scuba. Why the worst? Because it is mounted on the scuba. Take off the scuba tank, and loose your buoyancy. This has led to more than a few fatal accidents.

Newer designs, where the weights and the buoyance are both contained on the scuba, are much better in this reguard, as ditching the scuba does not leave the diver with weights on and no buoyancy. This, by the way, is not a problem if the diver has weighted him/herself to be neutral at the surface (a vintage diving technique). But many of today's divers are over-weighted at the surface, and so can become very negatively buoyant if the BC is removed, unless that weight also comes off with the scuba.

Concerning the J-valve, the lack of a SPG was by design early, very early. Cousteau and Gagnan, in their original patent stated that they had developed a three-cylinder scuba, with one in reserve in order not to depend upon a guage. The J-valve was an American invention, which gave about a five minute reserve on a single 71.2 cubic foot tank, simpy by tripping the lever (pulling the rod). It can be inadvertently tripped because of its orientation, and later on was reversed so that bumping it could not trip it. With double tanks, we reversed the valve so that the lever was facing forward, as is shown in this photo from the US Navy:
NavyDiversinhatch.jpg

I have done that on my doubles:
VintageJohn4.jpg

Here is a single tank reserve from Scubapro which on which the diver could reverse the lever, making it pretty much immune to the inadvertent tripping problem:
Scubaprovalve.jpg

There was another way of dealing with the reserve problem, and that was using a "restrictor orifice." This was a much smaller hole in the regulator (or vave) that, at lower tank pressure, made breathing much harder. It gave you a notice that you are getting low on air. With a single stage regulator, the breathing resistence is noticibly less at low tank pressure. This design countered that, and gave the diver a "signal" that it was time to surface. Here is a regulator with an internal restrictor reserve:
HealthwaysScubaRegulator1.jpg

By the way, this is the "military harness," which I've modified a bit for my own BC design. The regulator is the original Healthways Scuba regulator. They later came out with a Healthways Scuba Deluxe and Gold Label Healthways Scuba, and you could order the latter with either the restrictor or a larger opening in the valve, for use with a J-valve.

Why do this, instead of look at a guage? Well, there was a lot of diving done in very poor visibility in the USA. It is no mistake that the SPG came out in California (beautiful kelp forest diving) and Florida (cave diving), where visibility was great most of the time. But in cruddy water, the SPG is useless.

Now, SPGs are required equipment, and divers don't know what a J-valve is, or how to use it.

Redundancy became very important when sport divers began diving in "overhead environments," such as cave, wreck, or extreme deep diving where decompression kept the diver from surfacing directly. It also became more important with the advent of single hose regulators, with multiple failure points from O-rings (multiple hoses, SPG, etc.). The original double hose scuba units had no O-ring seals, and so were practically immune to these kinds of catestrophic loss of air. The single stage units (USD Mistral, Heathways Scuba, etc.) had six moving parts without an O-ring seal (in truth the Healthways Scuba did have an O-ring around the seat, but this was not ameanable to failure). The USD DA Aquamaster had no O-ring seals at all. At the time, the valves were using a 1/2 inch tapered thread without an O-ring too. The sealing surface between the valve and regulator was the only real O-ring seal, and this one would typically fail upon turing on the air, not during a dive. So redundency was not a real factor in early diving.

SeaRat

Last edited:
For deep solo I carry redundancy, otherwise no. Divers typically have no redundancy beyond their buddy. There is a myth that the ocotpus represents redundancy but alone it does not, only when coupled with a buddy so equipped does it represent anything other than half a regulator.

No, no redundancy and often no buddy either. The surface is your redundancy.

IMO, a BC is never really vintage, an argument can be made that some are, for myself, I don't much buy into it.

N

For deep solo I carry redundancy, otherwise no. Divers typically have no redundancy beyond their buddy. There is a myth that the ocotpus represents redundancy but alone it does not, only when coupled with a buddy so equipped does it represent anything other than half a regulator.

No, no redundancy and often no buddy either. The surface is your redundancy.

IMO, a BC is never really vintage, an argument can be made that some are, for myself, I don't much buy into it.

N
I fully agree. I've thought about the octo issue ever since I first read about it in my training text and the more I thought about it the more convinced that it's not my redundency, but rather my buddy's. two seconds on one first isn't very redundant IMO.

when it comes to "period correctness" (never thought I'd use that phrase on Scubaboard!) Is a Banjo adaptor vintage? do people regularly mix and match equipment from different eras?

What equipment fits best with a DA Aquamaster? for that matter, in your opinion, what is the best configuration for a mid sixties set-up?

I see already I need an assortmant, Thanks GillDiver! that's all I need, another obsession!

I guess now I need Sea Hunt on dvd:confused:

I fully agree. I've thought about the octo issue ever since I first read about it in my training text and the more I thought about it the more convinced that it's not my redundency, but rather my buddy's. two seconds on one first isn't very redundant IMO.

when it comes to "period correctness" (never thought I'd use that phrase on Scubaboard!) Is a Banjo adaptor vintage? do people regularly mix and match equipment from different eras?

What equipment fits best with a DA Aquamaster? for that matter, in your opinion, what is the best configuration for a mid sixties set-up?

I see already I need an assortment, Thanks GillDiver! that's all I need, another obsession!

I guess now I need Sea Hunt on dvd:confused:

Darth, just my opinion, others may vary, the banjo and straight type spg Sportsways SeaVue for example, are vintage. Of course you can dive a old reg with new gear and vice versa, it won't be vintage but who cares if you are having fun. Several of us dive what has come to be called for lack of a better term, eclectic rigs. You don't always have to be the picture perfect mannequin from the 1962 USD catalog. No one will spear you if you show up with a horsecollar BC either. Might snicker a little but just in fun. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom