D1X Venting Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamaicanMon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI All,

Just got my hands on a D1X. I love the suit but struggle with one thing, venting the suit.

The exhaust valve on the surface wide open vents with ease and without much ask at all. On my last dives I’ve really struggled to get the suit to vent when underwater. Rolling or manually hitting the valve doesn’t seem to have any effect.

During the dive everything about the suit is awesome and I add just enough air to remove the squeeze from my suit. However while returning to the surface I find it difficult to vent the suit as I ascend. I either get nothing or a few bubbles will exit the suit. When the suit does vent I end up with a smaller bubble in the suit but one that is still on the larger side. Ie. I can’t seem to get a good suit squeeze going on my ascents and for the life of me I can’t figure out why. The valve seems fine and functions on the surface but below the surface I really do struggle getting air to exit the valve.

No Malice intended but is the exhaust valve your highest point when venting?
I cant think of any reason why it would vent on the surface but not at depth.

Not Malice at all!! - Fair Question, yes I rolled or holding onto a line oriented myself into a position where the valve was highest.

Never run into this before in any of my last 3 suits.

What sort of undergarment are you using? It's not too unusual to have garments blocking airflow out of the vent. You can try putting some elastic (like a woman hair scrunchy) on your arm were the vent sits.

If this is the Hybrid suit with the orange mesh, you don't need much extra insulation. Wearing a heavy weight undergarment is going to leave you extremely buoyant in the Waterproof D1 Hybrid.

I have a D7X Nylotech and the dump valve and I are not the best of friends.
In my case it mostly comes down to my undergarments which are rather thick, and the rather tight webbing from my BPW that will make it harder for gas to travel from my feet/legs up to my torso and onwards to the dump valve.
Took a while to find the right technique for dumping, have to break trim a bit and wait for the gas to travel back up the suit before it starts dumping.
I will look like an idiot while dumping where as my buddies look like pros :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom