D-SLR choice: Nikon D90 vs Canon D50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that Ikelite housings are not the Roles Royce of housings. However if you spent 30 minutes trying to attach a port, you may not be the Bob Villa of UW shooters! :D

I can change out my ports/lenses on a Ikelite housing in a few minutes. It's just not that hard. As for weight, I'm not sure how much heavier it is than the alum housing, but likely not that much. The rig is slightly negative UW, which is what one wants. You need some weight or it could be positive. Most of the weight is in the bracket support which is made of heavy metal.

For me it came down to cost, pure and simple. I just don't dive/shoot in photo rich environments enough to justify spending huge bucks on a housing.

I would say go with the D90. Its a great camera at a great price, and the HD makes it a step above. There is also a variety of housings out and coming out for it. Ikelite, Hugyfot, Aquatica, and coming soon Seatool. As of now, there is no confirmation from Sea & Sea with regards to a housing. For sure a no on their RDX series, but a possible yes on the MDX.

I am currently shooting a Nikon D90 in and Ikelite housing. I am enjoying it alot and have been getting some excellent results from it (check out my Flickr link below) in both stills and HD video.

I believe the Nikon D90 is just as good as the D300 for a lot less money.

Regarding taking 30minutes to change Ikelite ports I can tell you from experience it takes me more like 30 seconds to change my 8 inch dome to a 60mm Macro port. So dont believe the hog wash that some people say.

As for other housings I would also be looking at Aquatica as I really like their housings after I had a play with some. They support Ikelite strobes also. I wish I had got the Aquatica but I already had all the Ikelite ports and domes.

Have you had a look at the Canon 5DmkII.........?

I would have a serious look at this camera and if I didnt have Nikon glass i would have bought it.

Regards Mark

Yeah, continue with Nikon... anyone.
DxO marks ranks EVERY APS-C sized sensor Nikon (and some Sonys) ahead of the Canons on the same format.
Even the D40x, D200 and D60 are better ranked than the 50D which, in fact, is a downgrade from the D40 (DPreview AND DxO).

If you are n it for the long run and can spend a bit more here is an advice:
Buy the best you can with the money you have.
Get a good aluminum housing... I use Sea&Sea, but any aluminum housing is better than plastic.
Nicer to operate underwater, small, almost no need to use ballast... the list goes on...

LOL let's get the old debate going again ... all Canon groupies on one side, Nikon groupies on the other :D

Seriously, both companies make excellent bodies and excellent glass. Go with what feels good to you, what has the best support for your needs (housing, glass, ports, service centres etc) and just get in there and do it. Any of them will serve you well and give you lots of opportunities to improve and explore.

Well, Nikon rules, and Canon blows! :D

No Canon Rocks and Nikon Sucks, Not blows, Just SUCKS.... lol!

I have to say you can't go wrong with either, Though the Canon processor is above the Nikon.

You will be happy with either one, They are both great, And you will find Ike-lite works with both!

Ron.

Messing with you Buddy.:D

Ya... both companies make quality products...

If you already have Nikon lenses, it's a good idea to stay with Nikon to protect your investment, if not just go and try them both to find out which one you are more comfortable with...

I'm currently a 450D user, just found out that Canon is releasing 500D with features that can give D90 a good fight... the best thing about the 500D is that it appears to fit my 450D housing as it is!
Really looking forward to this... :)

Chai

Back
Top Bottom