D-SLR choice: Nikon D90 vs Canon D50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anything about either of these cameras to cause me to lean one way or another in selecting an all-around D-SLR that will also be used underwater? Probably going with an Ikelite housing either way.

I do have a Nikon AF lens from my N70 that while not suited for underwater use (28-200mm zoom) would work with the Nikon above water. Also have a Nikon speedlite. If there's a compelling reason to choose the Canon over the Nikon I wont let this cloud the decision, but if all other things are equal I'd like to be able to make use of these two pieces of gear I already own.

Appreciate any thoughts or insights anyone might have - thanks!

Ray

Last edited:
Well, Nikon rules, and Canon blows! :D

Seriously they are both great systems. If you have some Nikon equipment, I'd go with Nikon. If you have some reasons to choose Canon, well go with them. I like the Nikon Ergonomics better, but that is a personal choice.

I have not compared these two bodies side by side, but I assume they have similar features. If one has features that you really want vs. the other, choose that body. You really can not go wrong with either system, even if Nikon rules! :blinking:

I'm a Canon person; but since you've invested in Nikon glass & light i can't see why you would change - have you considered the D300 :D

Since you don't really have much Nikon gear it would pay to get over to dpreview (take with grain of salt in the forums!!) and other places to compare the features to make sure the strengths of each model suit what you need and the weaknesses won't bother you.

Also have a look at each company's lens line up to see how much it will cost and which company matches the glass you want the best. Housings should be fairly similar in cost and options.

Both are fine cameras that will serve you well and allow you to grow, experiment and have oodles of fun :) I don't think you can go too wrong with either model, really.

Have fun shopping!!

If you wife would divorce you over a D700, than you may need a new wife! Now a D3x.. that maybe grounds for Divorce! :D

Well, it's more the overall context:

1.) I told her I needed to get a new camera last Monday when I got back from a 20-day diving trip to Truk Lagoon, including two weeks on the Truk Odyssey.

2.) I told her I needed to get the new camera in time for next month's 17 day diving trip to Egypt, including a week on an Emperor Fleet Red Sea liveaboard.

I'm not sure why she'd be upset about a few hundred dollars between one camera model vs the other either...

:D

you have to work on your negotiation skills; most is timing. :rofl3:
have fun in the Red Sea

The feature that would make me buying Nikon D90 is Active D-Lighting that eliminates the washing out the overexposed colors . Check if Canon has something similar

When I was picking up mine I checked both Nikon and Canon and I liked Nikon ergonomics much better. Much more comfortable to control. But this is personal. Other then that they both make great optics and optics is the primary concern when selecting the camera. If you have Nikon equipment at the moment go with nikon

hi-the choice of the nikon d90 would be the better camera. As far as housings go i have used an ikelite on 1 trip. Hated it so much i sold it. Extremely heavy to transport and to get the ports on was just about impossible. I hated the small clips that secure the port on and create the seal. Average time to change ports was 30 minutes and alot of frustration.I put my sea and sea port on in 30 seconds. I would recommend the aquatica and if sea and sea has a d90 housing i would buy it. Ikelite do make very good if not one of the best strobes though. Rugged and with the correct color temperature for underwater so the yellows and reds are vivid color.

Back
Top Bottom