Cyprus - Zenobia wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesje

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to a trip to Cyprus, and thinking about a dive to Zenobia wreck. Since I am just a beginner (7 dives), I dont know if its suitable for me - because i have read, that the bottom of the wreck is 42 meters deep - too much for me - so i could only dive to the top of the wreck, which is about 16 meters. I would like to know, if it is profitable to dive just to the top of the wreck (I presume the trucks are on the ground). Thanks for every advice.

Ask the dive operator that will take you on the dive how they work with new divers on this wreck, sounds like you can dive it and see plenty at your comfortable depth.

The Zenobia is a really special wreck. In my opinion even a beginner can make nice dives there. Certainly ask a bigger tank, and stay with the guide. The trucks are not at 42 meters depth, they are still fastened to the deck, so because the ship lays on its side, they're just hang there in a strange position somewhere between 25-35 meters. So I recommend to do there 2 dives (it's a typical daytrip in Cyprus), you'll enjoy. If you want, you can choose another dive sites in the island for your first day, so you'll know the local conditions, the rental equipment before the dives at the Zenobia. If you don't dive it you'll be sad later. I'm sure you can dive it safely with the guide even if you're not too experienced. I chose the Viking Divers who dived in small groups which is perfect for beginners and advanced divers too.

By the way, recently I wrote about the Zenobia in my blog and I posted some photos- maybe it'll help you.

I just returned from Cyprus where I did four dives on the Zenobia wreck. Truly amazing. I did deco dives with twins and EAN50 stage, but on the same boat were people doing non-deco recreational dives and they were extremely happy and excited about what they saw.

I can only recommend going with Dive-In Larnaca. The dive center is right at the little harbor, you can see the buoys that mark the wreck from the shop. It's a 3 minute boat ride from there to the wreck and they actually return back to the shore between dives. Several other dive centers advertise Zenobia dives, but that means a much longer boat ride and staying on the boat for your surface interval. I liked this setup much better.

The team at Dive In Larnaca is extremely competent (everyone who's taking you to the wreck is at least a technical instructor with a ton of experience diving the wreck), yet there is none of the all too common condescension for the less experienced diver. Quite the contrary, they are doing an extremely good job in making you feel comfortable. These were my very first tech dives after certification and I felt extremely well taken care of. Everyone was eager to answer question and willingly sharing information and patiently explaining things and going over details in the briefings. I never felt that I didn't know what I was supposed to do, what we were going to do on the dive and what to do if something unexpected happened.

I know, this sounds like a sponsored advertisement, but it's not. I'm just extremely impressed with both the setup and the people I encountered.

I would suggest that you contact Sheri through the website and have her work with you to plan a few fun dives. You won't regret it. I'm already trying to figure out when I can be back - and then with more than two days for diving.

And if you are interested, here are a few pictures from my trip: Diving in Larnaca

Back
Top Bottom