Cyprus - Is It Really As Bad As It Seemed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was working briefly in Cyprus for a dive company I won't mention as my opinion of them would deff be libelous!
|When I was there I didn't get to do a huge number of sites but did do Green Bay 1 and 2, The Zenobia, Cliffs and the 'Ski Slope' (deeper continuation of cliffs dive site).
I wasn't very impressed with the depth range (the Zen excepted) and the general lack of marine life all round.

I would be interested to know if anyone could suggest any better diving in Cyprus and whether my poor opinion of the diving should only be reserved for the area around Protaras.:(

Yup! I too have heard the same thing about Cyprus. I've never been there myself but some of my friends have and they were very disappointed with the diving.
The best place to dive in the med is Gozo. I was there in June and the diving just blew me away!!

Have to agree with you on the standard of diving on Gozo, deff blew my mind away esp the azure window. Awesome!

you really didnt like zenobia wreck?
i agree yhat its the only good place in cy,but zenobia is the best wreck you can go in meditteranian sea.
i have 12 dives there.i go every year.
try the follow link to see some real fhotos.....
:wacko:

http://www.dir.cy.net/newdive.htm

havent been yet, but know people who have.

Zenobia is supposed to be good, but it is a deffinite look from the outside and no entry.

it is starting to get a rep as a killer, even divemasters and guides have died on it.

reason for no fish is i heard that the cypriots liked dynamite fishing.

my mate has been alot, as his dad is cypriot and he has said the prices are starting to rise over there in anticipation of joining the EU.

I'd have to agree that most of the diving in Cyprus is pretty naff but the Z ia an awesome dive. I have been visiting for a while and was there last week. As for outside only I'm afraid I disagree. It is a calculated risk to go inside and I spent most of my dives inside last week. It's about knowing your's and your buddies limitsand abilities. I purposely went with the intention of penetrating the wreck!
It is a great dive and will keep most divers occupied for a week. It is suitable for a range of experiences and interests. Please go dive the wreck yourself and then comment! :upset:

med why the angry face, there are stories and warnings galore of people getting killed on there!!!

the wall partitions are like tissue paper and explode on contact filling the room with zero vis.

doesn't take a lot in the noodle department to realise the danger.

surprised you were allowed to penetrate as i had heard no guides will take any one in or let people in

I understand what you're saying but every dive has inherent risks. I'll be the first to admit I enjoy the risks, that's why I dive!, having said that It's calculated.
There are not as many people dying on it as is made out, but it is up to the individual and his experience to act within his training and experience.
Regards the state of the accomodation most of the nasty stuff is lying at 40m. People have died in the accomodation but it is now a relatively clear swim through where a torch is not required.
I assume that you do not penetrate wrecks? please correct me if i'm wrong!
As for not being allowed to penetrate, that is untrue. Guides are willing to lead people but there is a lot of emphasis put on experience etc.
I will be returning next year on a group trip with people of all abilities. Why not come along? I guarantee you'll enjoy it or I'll buy you a bottle of Leon!:wacko:

i have done wrecks but only with a guide, and ones that are known i.e. thistlegorm and the like in the northern red sea and the wreck off phuket, prefer reefs myself not that i'm clostraphobic, just prefer nothing above me if something goes wrong. :D

Fair enough mate, i'm the other way (if you know what I mean). Not too much into the pretty stuff I prefer scrap metal and junk!. We're trying to get our own forum going, if you're bored and fancy a look www.asac.fsnet.co.uk!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom