Cutting Silicone Wrist Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had to trim my small wrist seals a couple of rings. Watched you tube videos and read several articles. Ended up threading them over a short section of pvc pipe and used an exacto knife with a new blade. Much easier than I expected.

Thanks. I've watched a few videos. It doesn't look (to me) hard at all. My original need behind the thread was to find out how often people actually did trim them. I was all ready to trim my neoprene seals when I came on here and people said "NO....just stretch them", lol. That would have been a mistake for sure.

I have the impression that I need to trim my silicone seals. Not much I can do this weekend as I'm trying to get in a dive Sunday, so I don't want to move to fast, screw up the gluing (of hte PU rings in my suit) and be out of a dive. Hopefully sometime next week.

I'm planning on trimming 2 or 3 "rings" on the seals and going from there. They are REALLY tight and a pain to get my hands through. It feels like they'll rip before letting me in. I had to use lube to get them on.
We're all built different :)
Trim away, just make sure to get the trim evenly cut as it will tear very easily if not.
Another option is getting a reliable dry glove system and trim the seals all the way back, so much more comfortable gearing up and during the dive!

We're all built different :)
Trim away, just make sure to get the trim evenly cut as it will tear very easily if not.
Another option is getting a reliable dry glove system and trim the seals all the way back, so much more comfortable gearing up and during the dive!

Ultimas arriving today. I've read SeaJays and others experiences with moving to the dark side.....I'm sure I'll get there!:cool:

I can't see cutting perfectly good, new silicone seals up right away though. Need to experience those a little bit so I know how freeing seal-less really is!!!

Ultimas arriving today. I've read SeaJays and others experiences with moving to the dark side.....I'm sure I'll get there!:cool:

I can't see cutting perfectly good, new silicone seals up right away though. Need to experience those a little bit so I know how freeing seal-less really is!!!
I did some 30-40 dives with my seals intact before I took the plunge and trimmed them waaay back.
The Ultima/Showa combo truly is amazing!

Holy crap!!! These were not easy to load. Fingers are mangled. It took some trial an error, but I needed to make sure I could do it on a boat or in the middle of nowhere without rools. I can, but it's not enjoyable at all. Once I got the knack it took about 4 minutes to load one including the protective cover.

Will look into other methods for sure. I would love to be able to switch back and forth between XL and XXL w/liner more easily, but for now I'm sticking with the XXL.

Attachments

• 20200306_230548.jpg
    20200306_230548.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200306_230558.jpg
    20200306_230558.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200306_230632.jpg
    20200306_230632.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 71
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back