Cutting Silicone Wrist Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is that?
I like the zip seal concept, lowest profile way to have replaceable seals, that said that they must be trimmed, risking damage and toss in the cost at $70 each and I find that so much outweighs any advantage.

Or you could reuse the zip ring and glue your own seals to it. Very simple task.

Interesting. I appreciate everyone's replies.

Does everyone normally use talc / lube to get the seals on?

Never used talc or lube to get into my suit with silicone seals, it's an extremely flexible material.

Try gluing silicone to silicone and let me know how that turns out (spoiler alert: not well).

Very well actually. You are behind on the times. 2 years ago I glued silicone seals to a dui zip cuff. Did a whole write up of the method. If dui can glue the silicone to a zip ring why can't you...?

Never used talc or lube to get into my suit with silicone seals, it's an extremely flexible material.

I have the impression that I need to trim my silicone seals. Not much I can do this weekend as I'm trying to get in a dive Sunday, so I don't want to move to fast, screw up the gluing (of hte PU rings in my suit) and be out of a dive. Hopefully sometime next week.

I'm planning on trimming 2 or 3 "rings" on the seals and going from there. They are REALLY tight and a pain to get my hands through. It feels like they'll rip before letting me in. I had to use lube to get them on.

Very well actually. You are behind on the times. 2 years ago I glued silicone seals to a dui zip cuff. Did a whole write up of the method. If dui can glue the silicone to a zip ring why can't you...?
I stand corrected then. Still too much effort. Also not a fan of having the dry gloves attached to the sleeves all day if choosing dry gloves (unless this has changed as well). The Zipseal neck on the other hand is the nicest silicone option for a neck seal and perhaps worth the ridiculous price.

I have the impression that I need to trim my silicone seals. Not much I can do this weekend as I'm trying to get in a dive Sunday, so I don't want to move to fast, screw up the gluing (of hte PU rings in my suit) and be out of a dive. Hopefully sometime next week.

I'm planning on trimming 2 or 3 "rings" on the seals and going from there. They are REALLY tight and a pain to get my hands through. It feels like they'll rip before letting me in. I had to use lube to get them on.
We had to trim my small wrist seals a couple of rings. Watched you tube videos and read several articles. Ended up threading them over a short section of pvc pipe and used an exacto knife with a new blade. Much easier than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom