cutting off tips on gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_infinity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We were talking about dexterity loss with gloves in research training, and I was told that here in California, it is bearable to cut off the tips of your gloves so you can have your finger dexterity and warmth for your hand, as long as it's above 50 degrees F. Has anyone tried this before? I'm tempted to try this but I'd like to see if anyone else has tried it.

red_infinity:
We were talking about dexterity loss with gloves in research training, and I was told that here in California, it is bearable to cut off the tips of your gloves so you can have your finger dexterity and warmth for your hand, as long as it's above 50 degrees F. Has anyone tried this before? I'm tempted to try this but I'd like to see if anyone else has tried it.

I cut off just the index finger and thumb so I can clip on and off.

Then I went to a drysuit and thought: Why dive wet hands with a dry suit.... so I went to dry gloves.... ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I wear them year-round. Despite what you've heard or read, dry gloves (although they seem bulky and unruly on land) offer much greater dexterity underwater than neo gloves (for comporable insulation value.)

When it gets warmer in SoCal (above like 58 or so) I move once dry glove size smaller (to a medium) and wear them without liners.

I love them.

If you're diving wet, I do not recommend cutting off all the glove fingers. SeaSoft makes gloves with thinner material in the fingers specifically to increase cold water dexterity.

Few things are more unsafe than blocky hands. Before I cut off the fingers, I'd get bigger bolt snaps, look into the SeaSoft gloves or just practice more with the gloves you have now.

---
Ken

Ah. My gloves are actually fine for unclipping bolt snaps and whatnot. It's really more of a preference thing for me, not so much not being able to unclip something.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try cutting em off before I get new gloves.

I think the WKPP cut the tips off to be able to feel the line and have finger dexterirt. keep in mind though that this is only 72 degree water.

Diving_is_a_passion:
I think the WKPP cut the tips off to be able to feel the line and have finger dexterirt. keep in mind though that this is only 72 degree water.

My instructor says it's fine here as long as it's above 50 degrees F. I really don't see my hand or fingers getting cold much as I used to bodyboard and it never bothered me. We'll see though, I'll just try it once it's almost time to replace them.

There's Joe T who does it regularly.... Here in Monterey

Here's a video of them doing a Tech 1 dive at Pt Lobos

The Road to Montana

I did the glove snipping stuff a long time ago and quit because you never know what is going to cut you. I was hanging on a chain doing a deco. and I started to bleed. A micro-cut which got nasty. Damn barnacle. I was cleaning the interior of a dolphin tank (on public display) and I got cut. Nothing like blood in the water with spectators about. I was 80 ft. with students (who refused to wear gloves in Catalina) and I see some brown ooze - cuts from barnacle bill again!

In the end I settled for a pair of batting gloves and deerskin gloves which sorta worked. When they dried they were as hard as dried jerky. These days I wear those mesh gloves with the blue rubber fingertips and palms. Lots of dexterity, but certainly questionable for Monterey cold water. OK for So. Cal though.

X

I cannot go back to wet gloves... much too comfy in my blue drygloves... plus it's a lot easier reading hand signals when you do not have that black gloves on black suit issue

Rather than ruin a good pair of diving gloves, I bought a pair of gloves for sailing. They come without tips, with a tough rubberised palm for hauling on ropes and neoprene backs. And they cost about 1/3 of the price of a pait of diving gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom