Cutting Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st bag $35, 2nd bag $45 on united to Bonaire in economy. Pay for economy premium (front of plane, exit...) in and get 2 bags free. Have United cc get 1st bag free.

Some carriers "basic economy" includes no bags, not even a carry on.

Next up SRO

1st bag $35, 2nd bag $45 on united to Bonaire in economy.
Thanks. I didn't think to mention the 2 checked bags tend to cost money (with Southwest Airlines being a notable exception), whereas the personal item and carryon tend to be no added charge.

Richard.

This I completely understand. We like to stay at Caribbean Club - I don't think there's a sharp kitchen knife in the resort. Ended up borrowing one from the restaurant kitchen. It was dull too.

Has anyone looked into packing meat in a styrafoam cooler with dry ice like they do with Omaha steaks. If that counted as a checked bag and you were travelling with a group anyway, that might be an option.
Might I recommend…:wink:

Our last trip we shared a taxi to the rental car agency that included one individual meeting a group that had rented a villa. She said that the larger group was bringing a cooler of foods. I did not ask if dry iced but unless you have an overnight connection or some heat sensitive foods I really don’t think it would be needed.

Years ago we rented from a Canadian couple that lived on island and we became friends. One visit I mentioned my plans to make french toast but had no maple syrup. A short time later he showed up with a small container of syrup and requested we treat it like liquid gold considering the cost on island at that time. Next visit we brought them a Costco bottle of maple syrup and there after always asked if there was any item they needed us to bring. They almost always had a small request.

Those knives might make good dive knives. I'm sure they'd be better than my titanium knife that gets dull just by removing it from its sheath.

Post deleted

If you’re in Florida, or can get to Florida, a technical diver and you want to go, let me know. I’m ready to go again. You can fly with me and not worry about baggage. It’s a longer flight, but you don’t have to show up 3 hours early, get though customs, security, ride with 300 other people and you don’t have to wait on your luggage or wade through those same 300 people in customs in Bonaire. All in all, it usually works out to be faster to fly private. Depending on wind, it’s about a 7 hour flight. And I’ll probably stop for lunch.

The same people that buy a $1000 ticket, pack $50 bucks worth of snacks into a suitcase....then pay a $75 dollar bag fee to save $20 bucks at the local island supermarket.
$1000?! Redeem credit card miles for some tickets. I don’t juggle cards to game the rewards system, but some people do that too. Travel a few times a year to earn status, which gets you two free bags—if your status is high enough on some airlines you are allowed 70lbs per bag. Spend wisely, that’s all.

The same people that buy a $1000 ticket, pack $50 bucks worth of snacks into a suitcase....then pay a $75 dollar bag fee to save $20 bucks at the local island supermarket.
I just do not understand the animosity that some have displayed in this thread toward those of us that prefer to prepare our own meals with foods familiar to us and perhaps in the process also live within our means and maybe even save a few dollars toward another trip. But then again, this is SB so why should I expect common civility from anonymous strangers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom