Cutting Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goat, fresh fish, chicken, eggs, all locally sourced (I believe). I don't think I'd try to make my own Kabritu Stoba in the hotel room though.

Is the Kip Tukkie truck still around? Fresh bread and cheese from Van Den Tweel, along with the smoked chicken, is my favorite lunch.
We, too, prefer to buy as much local stuff as possible to cook. I think we contribute plenty to the economy without dining out at restaurants much.

Yes, the Royal Kip Tukkie was still parked outside of Van den Tweel as of my trip a few months ago.

I understand wanting to keep costs down. We certainly like to prepare our own meals and snacks some too. Also, there are plenty of inexpensive local "restaurants" too. But, THEY HAVE SUPERMARKETS ON THE ISLAND.

To pay top dollar for airfare and then save a few bucks by packing frozen meat in your suitcase, in my opinion, and maybe only my opinion, makes you sound like a nutcase. Maybe some things are better kept to ones' self and not posted on the internet.
There are nutcases and then there are people like you. Are you threaten by my choices? You seem profoundly traumatized by all this.

As @Lorenzoid said, there are some things on island that are plentiful and others that are rare to unavailable. Even items that are usually common can be sporadically available in the SUPERMARKETS ON THE ISLAND. Sometimes it takes multiple trips to multiple locations to get what would be needed for a specific meal. I don’t know about you but I prefer to spend my time diving.

Perhaps you might want to ignore this thread for your own health and sanity.

Im Bonaire, the cost of the food wasn’t all that different (restaurants that is) than ehat I eat here. The problem was the service was so friggin slow. It drove me nuts.

When I went to Abaco, the cost was easily 4x what it was in Florida. That’s just crazy. And it’s weird where I decide to be cheap.

There are nutcases and then there are people like you. Are you threaten by my choices? You seem profoundly traumatized by all this.
unc,

I don't really care what you do unless your frozen steaks thaw out and contaminate my suitcase too.

What I'm saying is that this isn't the first time packing frozen steaks in a suitcase has been discussed in a Bonaire thread. (Is it even legal?) It's not a practice to be proud of, so I suggest keeping it to yourself.

Given that dive travel is expensive and much of the cost of a dive trip is relatively fixed, people turn to whatever they can to trim costs. Food affects everybody, alcohol affects people who use it, etc...

I've not taken frozen meats (I can't cook past microwaves and heating a pizza in the oven), but I'm considering light weight goods like beef jerky, protein and Snicker bars.

unc,

I don't really care what you do unless your frozen steaks thaw out and contaminate my suitcase too.

What I'm saying is that this isn't the first time packing frozen steaks in a suitcase has been discussed in a Bonaire thread. (Is it even legal?) It's not a practice to be proud of, so I suggest keeping it to yourself.
You truly do have a very odd perspective on life. Pity.

It is quite legal and your suitcases are safe since my delicious steaks that I will be enjoying as you chew on goat are sealed.

Please tell me that this thread is just one big "troll"
Seems a bit sanctimonious and hypocritical to shout “TROLL” at a serious thread discussing tasty, healthy, economical and QUICK meal options. Maybe you (the swollen agitator that “looks like he can go a week without steaks or bacon”) are the actual troll. But seriously, who am I to judge? I’m just the physically fit “nutcase” that will have waaaay more hours underwater than you. Bon Appétit!

Not wanting to get involved in the 'Steakgate' dispute, I have to say I am in awe over those whom pack pasta, steak and various accoutrements. I will pack a couple of protein bars and coffee to tide me over in case I don't make it to the supermarket before diving the next day. Even then, I am tiptoeing around an anxiety attack over 1) finding room in luggage 2) not exceeding the 50# weight limit. You guys need to school me with your packing secrets!

Not wanting to get involved in the 'Steakgate' dispute, I have to say I am in awe over those whom pack pasta, steak and various accoutrements. I will pack a couple of protein bars and coffee to tide me over in case I don't make it to the supermarket before diving the next day. Even then, I am tiptoeing around an anxiety attack over 1) finding room in luggage 2) not exceeding the 50# weight limit. You guys need to school me with your packing secrets!
The one upside to buying five plane tickets, is that on most airlines you still get one checked bag per ticket. We can get everything into 5 legit carry-ons, and two or three full size suitcases, leaving me with the luxury of 80lbs and a few cubic feet to play with, 😏

Seems a bit sanctimonious and hypocritical to shout “TROLL” at a serious thread discussing tasty, healthy, economical and QUICK meal options. Maybe you (the swollen agitator that “looks like he can go a week without steaks or bacon”) are the actual troll. But seriously, who am I to judge? I’m just the physically fit “nutcase” that will have waaaay more hours underwater than you. Bon Appétit!

In my defense, I said "troll" I didn't shout "TROLL"

"Swollen agitator"? I've never been called that before, I like it.

Back
Top Bottom