Customized Patches on Zeagle BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS199

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have not seen any posts or info of this nature - only posts about using a patch to repair a BCD. I wanted to know if anyone has personalized their BCD by applying a patch such as a sports, military or other personal choice patch? If so, is any specific material recommended and how did you apply it? I am buying a Zeagle Stiletto and wanted to maybe personalize it with a patch if this was recommended and doable. I certainly don't want to damage the BCD in any way.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I've seen that Zeagle has applied military patches at the factory for buyers who make prior arrangements.

On the jacket? I've poked holes in mine, sewn things on (that was tough - carpet needle and vice grips) etc. Shoe repair shops have heavy duty sewing machines that'll do it right.

Maybe even a good sized piece of velcro could be sewn on. That way if the patch faded, you could replace it.

Don't go poking holes in the wing though. I'm not even sure I'd remove the bladder and then sew one on. The bladders are heavy plastic but rubbing against the stitches might over time wear a hole in it.

Thank you fisheater and diversteve. You both presented me with ideas I wasn't thinking about directly. Diversteve - Velcro might be a good option. My husband has an extremely heavy duty sewing machine that he uses to repair boat sails so that might work.

I have to see what the available "work space" on the Stiletto for maybe a 2" patch. I won't go near the bladder.

Patches are a tricky thing, so forgive me if a waffle back and forth on the pros and cons here. This guy is still one of my favorite BCs that someone shared with us after purchasing.

539324_10150760684026967_961121299_n.jpg

This was done by the user, not us, so it absolutely can be done at home. The material we use is a pretty hefty Cordura nylon on the outside with a layer or two of foam material at the core, so it gets pretty tough to punch a hole through at times, let alone a few hundred of them. The inner bladder is also (relatively) tough and could most likely hold up for years with the stitches from those patches rubbing against it. However, if it did end up damaging the inner bladder it would not be covered under warranty.

Segue to warranty coverage and personal responsibility! I'm going to assume if you're going to the lengths of personalizing your vest with your own patches you're ready to accept responsibility for wrecking it yourself. The things you'll need to be aware of are the durability and materials you're working with. If you use cheap thread/patches then you should not expect a great deal of life from them. If you're going to use the BC in the pool and/or leave it out in the sun and/or not rinse and clean it properly you are not going to get a long life from the patches either. As with all things, your mileage may vary.

The other durability and construction thing to consider is how your stitching is going to affect the BC material. If you do what this guy has done improperly (not saying that he did, just using this as an example) the patches and stitching will not allow the material to stretch, particularly in the bladder cover. I see this with my own leather jacket that I've festooned with patches over the years, it simply will not stretch in certain areas. On the BC this means if you were to fully inflate the bladder cover there's a chance that you could tear the Cordura material (remember, you're putting hundreds of tiny holes in the material which weakens that area over time) or pop some of the stitches out. That's your worst case scenario. On the vest or shoulder section this is less likely to happen, it'll just get stiffer in the area of the custom patch.

So what are the advantages? Well you've got yourself a wicked cool, unique BC that you can proudly display with that grin on your face that says "yea, I did this myself :eyebrow:" Since nearly all of our BCs use the Personal Fit System you can always replace sections that you may possibly ruin if the first effort doesn't go the way you planned it to. Heck, you can get three shoulder sections and put all different kinds of patches on them yourself. Also with the PFS system its simple to disassemble the BC and handle the components individually as you take them through your sewing machine.

The information I've presented should be taken with a grain of salt, I'm not a professional sewing machine operator (I just play one on the internet) and my comments and observations are purely from insight given by our Service Department and other staff. I'm assuming that anyone using this information is confident and capable in their own DIY abilities and understands that what they're doing WILL VOID THEIR WARRANTY. As always we're a nice bunch of folks when it comes to helping you all out with your repairs but if we discover that the cause of the problem is the modification that you've done yourself we're going to have to have you pay for the appropriate repairs. That being said, if you do end up customizing it yourself please show us and share it on the Zeagle Facebook page so we can all admire your handiwork. :D

Thank you Jeff for your response. That customized BC pictured is a very cool BC! I was thinking of something on a much smaller scale but it is great to see someone else's handiwork. You brought up some good points about the stretch, the availability of different parts using the Personal Fit System, etc. In terms of thread, my husband uses some very durable thread for boat sails. It is made to withstand the elements such as salt and sun. If I go this route, I will research quality patches. Thank you for the reminder about the warranty. :) It always helps to know when warranty coverage is being jeopardized.

here is another option, when I was in the military flight suits had Velcro patches so you could remove identifiers in the event of capture. so when I had my drysuit made I had the fine people at DUI add a patch of Velcro. you can then change the patch if it fades out or you if you just want something different

039raw1.jpg

On the jacket? I've poked holes in mine, sewn things on (that was tough - carpet needle and vice grips) etc. Shoe repair shops have heavy duty sewing machines that'll do it right.

Maybe even a good sized piece of velcro could be sewn on. That way if the patch faded, you could replace it.

Don't go poking holes in the wing though. I'm not even sure I'd remove the bladder and then sew one on. The bladders are heavy plastic but rubbing against the stitches might over time wear a hole in it.

after sewing, just coat the stitches on the inside with aquaseal and smooth it out.

Thank you C5diver. I know someone who was first a C-141 flight engineer and then he worked on the C-5. Huge aircraft. I live not far from a USAF base and see the C-17s flying over at times. I like how you were able to add areas of Velcro to enable you to apply and/or swap out patches. I wonder if Zeagle has ever done a similar service of adding a patch of Velcro like DUI did for your drysuit.

Nimoh - Thank you for the aquaseal tip. I will look into that product as I am not familiar with it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom