Custom Wetsuit vs. Major-Brand Ultrastretch? Which has better fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanFranDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've looked at a number of custom wetsuit manufacturers and they all seem to be made from fewer panels than some of the major manufacturers.

I'm wondering whether more panels means that the suit conforms to human anatomy, flexes better, stretches/pulls less than a custom that supposedly is made-to-measure, but has fewer panels?

For instance, Waterproof of Sweden seems to have lots more small upper boy panels than any custom suit I've seen. Wouldn't all those extra panels enable the suit to follow the body contours better?

aries_hires.jpg

Well, think about it.

If your wet suit is custom fitted, the the thickness of the material will be uniform, for all intents and purposes, across the entire surface of the body, given that it is a single thickness material.

Stretch wet suits do just that.

If the material is stretched to acommodate a greater length, width or circumference than it's "at rest" dimension, then it has to give up some thickness thus creating spots, even areas, that will have a resulting decreased insulation capability.

the K

Yeh, but here's a photo from a "well-respected" custom wetsuit manufacturer's website whose slogan is "Wetsuits that fit like they were poured on you". Their wetsuit has fewer body panels and is not all that "body-hugging" in the upper body:

pic25.jpg

Last edited:
My wife has a suit from that supplier and it actually fits quite well. She has several custom suits and even though they do not have as many panels they do assume a form in a surprising way. They are not high stretch suits either. I don't know what they were thinking when they selected that or a number of the photo's on the site. I agree that gentleman's suit does have a poor fit. I have seen more than a few major brand brochures that did not exemplify good fits.

IMO Waterproof takes the panel concept to an extreme and maybe that's their marketing niche. I know nothing negative of their product but that is a lot of seams and stitching which to me are the weak points. Everything is a compromise.

As for high stretch suits and custom thoughts you can read more here.

Pete

JMJ wetsuits in SoCal. The last of the original custom made USA wetsuits...great...order from them before they are gone. Best Ever suits, try them guarantee you will like them. Made to order on site..not taiwan!!!

To answer your question, a custom wetsuit will fit perfectly. Off the racks will fit perfectly if you have an off-the rack body.

JMJ wetsuits in SoCal. The last of the original custom made USA wetsuits...great...order from them before they are gone. Best Ever suits, try them guarantee you will like them. Made to order on site..not taiwan!!!

Ahhh...I get it, so that means they are over priced:)

IMHO, you're asking the wrong question. It's not a question of which suit fits better, it's which suit will keep you warmer (especially in our local waters).

The high stretch suit will have two characteristics that defeat warmth. First, in order to stretch, something's got to give. That "something" is thickness, aka "insulation." Also, when you are at depth, that nice soft, stretchy material is more apt to collapse under the pressure. Again, you lose insulation.

I really like my custom from AquaFlite. (Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite) It cost about the same as off-the-shelf and I got it made and delivered inside a week, right here in Northern California.

Back
Top Bottom