Custom Neoprene drysuit need one who makes the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is how Seaskin keeps winning my business. I wanted Kubi rings. Fourth Element could not offer that. I wanted zippered pockets. Nobody else that I know of has that option.

Otter can do the Kubi/zippered combo, I just don’t think the zippered pocket is featured on their website (which could use some updating). But it would cost a little more than the Seaskin. Where Seaskin always wins is VALUE. Like the earlier Acura/Bentley comparison, there is likely no better suit for the money and it performs as well as the designer suits. I’ve seen Seaskin suits in person and they certainly are quality suits, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one.

They’re endlessly customizable as far as options go, their website has about every option possible listed. Some manufacturers will only use certain valves or certain glove systems, often only one choice outside of standard seals. Otter will customize anything that’s not on their website unless it’s a product they’ve had issues with.

Just skimming through earlier comments, if made-to-measure, neoprene, and front zip are of concern then Otter does offer at least two MTM neoprene front zip suits. If back zip is fine then the Seaskin Ultra is the best bang for the buck and will perform as well as the rest. If you’re independently wealthy or a recent lottery winner I think you can get an SF Tech TNT Pro for something like $5k.

Aren't his suits also normal neoprene? I.e. not compressed or crushed neoprene. I think that also makes them more stretchy, which probably also helps with self-donning.

I would skip on buying one just for being regular neoprene. The change in buoyancy between surface and depth is not, umm, preferred. Not that big a deal on OC. But, on CCR, having weighting exactly spot on really helps with buoyancy (even moreso than on OC), and dil consumption. Which means I do what I can to minimize buoyancy changes between the surface and at depth. I will dive my CCR in a wetsuit as thick as 5mm, but only for non-technical stuff where I have a wider margin for error on buoyancy.
The model I purchased was the Ti-3000, but with 4mm instead of 3.5mm which is standard. The Ti 3000 and Ti 5000 are compressed neoprene. This is not "crushed" like my DUI CF200, so a little thicker, but not as thick as my O'Three MSF500 which I believe is standard neoprene.

There is some change in buoyancy with depth, but since I am adding air as I descend anyhow, I don't really feel the additional amount used to compensate for any loss of buoyancy caused by the neoprene,

There is not a long leash on the zipper. Pretty much a standard zipper pull. The zipper is a TiZIP SUPERSEAL. I had some reservations because I heard about problems with the DUI TiZIP, but I understand that this is a different model. I have had zero issues with this zipper to date. I do lube it with silicone after every few dives. I think the raglan sleeve design and the stretch of the neoprene does help with the ability to self-zip (and following the technique...I once let go mid pull and the zipper did end up in a location middle back where I asked for help!). I don't feel my suit is cut bigger than needed, It fits about the same as my custom DUI CF200 and O'Three MSF500. It does have more stretch.

The O'Three was the cheapest. The cost was about $2,150 with the exchange rate . The Seasoft was about $2,650. The DUI was close to $4,000.

O'Three does have a compressed neoprene and even a trilam version. I have to say that for a custom drysuit, the fitting process that was used by O'Three far exceeded the Seasoft and DUI process with the video fitting service they performed. It was as close to being in the store as you can get without being there in person. In addition to the measurements, the also wanted photos...front facing and side facing.

Exactly. You have some info on the O'Three - though you apparently have not actually used one. And you have, by your own admission, virtually NO information on the Seaskin. Yet you categorically claim that the O'Three is better.

Are the seams better? Is the stitching better? Is the material itself better? Is the fit better? Are the pockets better? Is the range of motion better?

You don't know ANY of that - because you don't know the Seaskin. But you are comfortable proclaiming that the O'Three is better.

I have also had a Bare XCS2 Tech, which is a front zip compressed neoprene suit, and a Waterproof D9X, breathable trilam. Funny enough, I have dived with both of my old suits recently, being worn by my friends that I sold them to.

I have also personally laid hands on and directly examined suits being used by friends, including Santi, Fourth Element, Hollis, DUI, Waterproof, ScubaPro, Otter, O'Three, and Aqualung/Whites.

My experience is not that broad. But, it's more than just "this is my first drysuit and I love it."

If I needed a new drysuit today, these would all be on the table for consideration:

Seaskin
Santi
Fourth Element
Waterproof
Otter
O'Three

I think those are on a comparable level of quality. The others I have personally looked at are not at the same level - just in my opinion. Not that the others are necessarily bad. I just think these rise above. Particularly since all but one offer made to measure. I don't think Waterproof offers made to measure - but they are on my list because they offer so many standard, off-the-rack sizes. As hard as I am to fit, Waterproof MIGHT have a standard size that fits me. I would just have to try it.

I would narrow it down to which one could offer the features I want, and then which one had the best price for that. That is how Seaskin keeps winning my business. I wanted Kubi rings. Fourth Element could not offer that. I wanted zippered pockets. Nobody else that I know of has that option.

So you want me to pound my chest and tell you that I have been using drysuits since the 80's and have been a dealer for several lines including Viking, DUI, Scubapro and several others and have personally tried SANTI, Fourth Element, Viking, DUI (best and including extensive training/rental program) and others I can't remember now??? Seaskin, as I have said before, isn't a terrible suit but it isn't the best quality, fit or value at all.

(I caught my first 20lb lobster on the Chester Poling in MA wearing my CF200 drysuit, that must count for something :) )

So you want me to pound my chest and tell you that I have been using drysuits since the 80's and have been a dealer for several lines including Viking, DUI, Scubapro and several others and have personally tried SANTI, Fourth Element, Viking, DUI (best and including extensive training/rental program) and others I can't remember now??? Seaskin, as I have said before, isn't a terrible suit but it isn't the best quality, fit or value at all.

(I caught my first 20lb lobster on the Chester Poling in MA wearing my CF200 drysuit, that must count for something :) )

Umm, no. I already said what I want. Details on the O'Three and the Seaskin neoprene suit - how they compare and contrast to support your assertion that one is better. History is irrelevant unless it's something specific like, for example, "X has the same kind of stitching as Seaskin and, historically, that type of stitching fails more often than the type that O'Three uses." What brands and how old (and stale) your knowledge of them is doesn't have much to do with giving details that explain what makes O'Three better than Seaskin.

When you say X is better than Y and then admit that you really don't know anything about Y ("but X is definitely better!"), it really takes away from your credibility. About this subject and every other.

Umm, no. I already said what I want. Details on the O'Three and the Seaskin neoprene suit - how they compare and contrast to support your assertion that one is better. History is irrelevant unless it's something specific like, for example, "X has the same kind of stitching as Seaskin and, historically, that type of stitching fails more often than the type that O'Three uses." What brands and how old (and stale) your knowledge of them is doesn't have much to do with giving details that explain what makes O'Three better than Seaskin.

When you say X is better than Y and then admit that you really don't know anything about Y ("but X is definitely better!"), it really takes away from your credibility. About this subject and every other.

So you are asking a "Consumer Reports" type of detailed analysis here? Extensive and proven track record, experience and opinions of highly experienced top notch industry professionals and even regular divers who have use one brand the most don't count unless we get Consumer Reports study?

Have you compared your Honda Acura with Bentley? Have you ridden in a Bentley? The Bentley SUV and its reclining back seat?

I love my Seaskin trilam, haven't used their neoprene though. Took about 8 weeks to get my order in 2019, still going strong today.

So you are asking a "Consumer Reports" type of detailed analysis here? Extensive and proven track record, experience and opinions of highly experienced top notch industry professionals and even regular divers who have use one brand the most don't count unless we get Consumer Reports study?

Have you compared your Honda Acura with Bentley? Have you ridden in a Bentley? The Bentley SUV and its reclining back seat?
I feel you’ve failed to answer Stuart’s question, again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom