Custom Neoprene drysuit need one who makes the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know anything about the Seaskin product, so I won’t comment.

I have ordered an O’Three custom made to order drysuit…an MSF-500. After initial measurements they sent me the unfinished suit and we had a Skype video session to mark exact knee location, finger tip location for pockets, and some other key body position location in reference to the measurements. We also verified final fit over that video session. The drysuit was returned for final manufacturing and finishing. When I received it again in it’s final form, it fit great!

Some things I eventually disliked. Wrist seals, stiff zipper, not as much arm freedom that I like, and unable to self-zip that back zipper.

I called Seasoft Scuba and talked with Bruce about what I wanted. I really like the raglan sleeves and the 4mm crushed neoprene is very flexible. It is also a back zip that is simple to open and close by myself. I was not sure about the exhaust location, but I quickly got used to it and I have had no issues in backmount or sidemount.

Overall I like the Seasoft more than the O’Three, but both fit well and I think O’Three “fine-tuned” the fit better than Seasoft or my DUI signature custom fit.

That's always the problem with "which is best": we collectively have a wide range of experiences to share with competing products, but often lack a baseline for comparison. That makes the first-hand head-to-head accounts like @Sevenrider860 so valuable. No one is going to buy every drysuit on the market at once, so all we can do is bring what information we do have to the table and hope it helps, like @stuartv and his Seaskin suits and @BoltSnap and his familiarity with UK diving.

That said, I would love to see a sticky thread for ongoing direct drysuit comparisons by divers with multiple drysuits.

I have also had a Bare XCS2 Tech, which is a front zip compressed neoprene suit, and a Waterproof D9X, breathable trilam. Funny enough, I have dived with both of my old suits recently, being worn by my friends that I sold them to.

I have also personally laid hands on and directly examined suits being used by friends, including Santi, Fourth Element, Hollis, DUI, Waterproof, ScubaPro, Otter, O'Three, and Aqualung/Whites.

My experience is not that broad. But, it's more than just "this is my first drysuit and I love it."

If I needed a new drysuit today, these would all be on the table for consideration:

Seaskin
Santi
Fourth Element
Waterproof
Otter
O'Three

I think those are on a comparable level of quality. The others I have personally looked at are not at the same level - just in my opinion. Not that the others are necessarily bad. I just think these rise above. Particularly since all but one offer made to measure. I don't think Waterproof offers made to measure - but they are on my list because they offer so many standard, off-the-rack sizes. As hard as I am to fit, Waterproof MIGHT have a standard size that fits me. I would just have to try it.

I would narrow it down to which one could offer the features I want, and then which one had the best price for that. That is how Seaskin keeps winning my business. I wanted Kubi rings. Fourth Element could not offer that. I wanted zippered pockets. Nobody else that I know of has that option.

I called Seasoft Scuba and talked with Bruce about what I wanted. I really like the raglan sleeves and the 4mm crushed neoprene is very flexible. It is also a back zip that is simple to open and close by myself.
I've seen the video of Bruce self-donning his back zip suit, but I don't understand what makes Seasoft self-donning when other back zip suits like Seaskin are not. Is it the raglan sleeves?

I've seen the video of Bruce self-donning his back zip suit, but I don't understand what makes Seasoft self-donning when other back zip suits like Seaskin are not. Is it the raglan sleeves?

I'm curious about that, too. I have also watched his video. I got the impression it was having a long leash on the zipper pull, and a zipper that zips easily. I would just GUESS plastic. My back zip suit (a Seaskin) has a metal zipper and it is so stiff, I don't see any way I could zip it myself, even with a long leash on the pull. But, all the plastic zippers I've had (all front zip) zipped very easily (when lubed properly).

Maybe also something about the the zipper details that help make it so you don't get material caught in the zipper as you close it?

The suit is bigger than needed so it can stretch, watch again, he also uses plastic zips which I like over brass but won’t take the same force across the zipper. I was tempted to try one but bottom line is it costs more than two seaskin.

The suit is bigger than needed so it can stretch, watch again, he also uses plastic zips which I like over brass but won’t take the same force across the zipper. I was tempted to try one but bottom line is it costs more than two seaskin.

Aren't his suits also normal neoprene? I.e. not compressed or crushed neoprene. I think that also makes them more stretchy, which probably also helps with self-donning.

I would skip on buying one just for being regular neoprene. The change in buoyancy between surface and depth is not, umm, preferred. Not that big a deal on OC. But, on CCR, having weighting exactly spot on really helps with buoyancy (even moreso than on OC), and dil consumption. Which means I do what I can to minimize buoyancy changes between the surface and at depth. I will dive my CCR in a wetsuit as thick as 5mm, but only for non-technical stuff where I have a wider margin for error on buoyancy.

Aren't his suits also normal neoprene? I.e. not compressed or crushed neoprene. I think that also makes them more stretchy, which probably also helps with self-donning.

I would skip on buying one just for being regular neoprene. The change in buoyancy between surface and depth is not, umm, preferred. Not that big a deal on OC. But, on CCR, having weighting exactly spot on really helps with buoyancy (even moreso than on OC), and dil consumption. Which means I do what I can to minimize buoyancy changes between the surface and at depth. I will dive my CCR in a wetsuit as thick as 5mm, but only for non-technical stuff where I have a wider margin for error on buoyancy.
Not 100% sure on the “only” regular neoprene, it’s been a while since I looked at them. Agree the the rebreather drivers have a lot less forgiveness in buoyancy application plus tending toward longer dives loosing a fair part of your insulation as you descend can be problematic.

O'Three...

DUI is a "once was"...

Check out the Deep6 branded made to measure. I'll likely be looking there for my next one.

Not 100% sure on the “only” regular neoprene, it’s been a while since I looked at them. Agree the the rebreather drivers have a lot less forgiveness in buoyancy application plus tending toward longer dives loosing a fair part of your insulation as you descend can be problematic.

On that last part, I would just say that you have to be foresighted enough to choose undies that are warm enough at depth (accommodating suit crush).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom