Custom Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
I have not been able to find a mask that fits. I went to Leisure Pro (and a few local dive shops) and tried on every mask they had. It seems that I have a small mustache area and a narrow face. The problem is that a mask that is narrow enough hits the bottom of my nose and is extremely uncomfortable. If I try to get a bigger mask it is too wide for my face. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

J

That's a tough one. I have had a few students with similar problems in terms of mask fit. I have not heard of custom fit masks before. Perhaps they exist but I sort of doubt it...Realistically it comes down to two things. 1. Keep trying. It seems like all masks fit differently. Perhaps the mask for you is still out there somewhere. 2. Perfect your mask clearing skills.

I have a little difficulty with a good mask. I had a similar problem and chose a larger mask that didn't hurt my face. Yes, it leaks, but I can clear my mask like a champ :D

I rather have a mask that's hurts than one that is too big and leaks the entire dive. If I do 1 or 2 dives a day I can deal w/ it. However, when I go on a diving trip (Bonaire) by the 3rd day of 4 to 5 dives a day, I'm in PAIN.

Not sure how else to keep trying, I think I've tried them all the major brands.

Bump!! I can't be the only one with this problem.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think proposing brands or models will help at this point.

However, last time I was at the Long Beach scuba show I stopped by the Cressi booth and discovered they had far more models than I thought. Same thing with other manufacturers.

I don't know about LeisurePro, but it seems to me that shops in my area tend to stock the two or three models from each brand that sell best, so although that's a lot of masks most of them are targeted at the same kind of face.

If you can get access to the full offering of a big manufacturer (Cressi? Mares?), you might find something that suits you.

Just to make sure I've exhausted all possibilities - and despite what I just said earlier: you have tried the Atomic Frameless (both sizes), Cressi Matrix and variations on Big-Eye?

One thing I had considered at some point was to get a big dual lens mask for wider faces and figure out a way to soften the plastic at the top of the nose and bend it to narrow the sides. I'm glad I finally found a mask that fit and never had to do it, because those plastics don't look like something which would react well to heat :-/

trying to help someone fit a mask over the internet is somewhat unrealistic....I will say the Atomic masks have fit every diver I've ever loaned it to......and if you think a softer mask material may help you achieve a good fit/seal, you might try the Apollo Bio-Metal PRO Mask....Apollo has 2 versions of this mask (I've got both versions), but the more expensive version is made of a softer surgical grade silicone and may be more 'moldable' to fit your face without causing 'pain'. Leisure Pro has them for $ 225.00 (list = $ 300). Yeah, kinda spendy but if it works for you and cures your problems, it's a bargain!

If you have not already done so, I suggest you take a look at the Cressi Minima, only because of its unique design. I've been diving with the Cressi Big Eyes for several years now. I have a fairly large mustache and it seals well for me.

My first mask leaked as hell in the beginning, now, it never happens. I also have a mustache. I think it might be something about breathing patterns and exhaling through the nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom