Custom manufactured BP/W with plans and directions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty cool!!!

Update: I now have almost 6 hours of OW BT with the BP/W and I'm very happy with it. I much prefer it to my BCD. The only change I've made is to route the OPV string through one of the d-rings on the wing and thread the string onto a large bead. It makes it much easier to find the dump string with gloves on. The wing tests at 29# of lift. I like the 'pool noodle' bladder better. The bladder from scratch (12 ga vinyl) has unidentifiable minuscule air leaks. I suspect it is the heat sealing process.

I'm planning on trying 3 additional bladder methods:
1. Using a small (24" dia) pool donut. Dividing one tube cross ways - to make a curved tube - and sealing the ends with a food bag sealer.
2. Using sheet vinyl and seeing if the local plastics dealer can radio-freq seal it for me for a affordable amount
3. Use heat-sealable nylon for the bladder. This is my ultimate preference.

I'll update if any of this works (or doesn't). I appreciate all the positive remarks. It's been fun and I have a very useful piece of gear.

Never forget, the original backplates were made from Florida and Georgia stop signs. I've always wondered how they got the bullet holes out of them.:D

You didn't. That was why you bolted the tanks on. They just used the bullet holes as predrilled mounts.

Never forget, the original backplates were made from Florida and Georgia stop signs. I've always wondered how they got the bullet holes out of them.:
D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stop Signs?

When and were did this urban legend begin?

According to the urban legend when did the first Back Plate make it's apperance in the diving world?

SDM

I'm planning on trying 3 additional bladder methods:
1. Using a small (24" dia) pool donut. Dividing one tube cross ways - to make a curved tube - and sealing the ends with a food bag sealer.
2. Using sheet vinyl and seeing if the local plastics dealer can radio-freq seal it for me for a affordable amount
3. Use heat-sealable nylon for the bladder. This is my ultimate preference.

Update:
Idea #1. cut the ends of the pool donut (24" dia) and sealed them using Vyna Bond cement. This holds very well but the tube diameter is too small.

Idea #2; I used 10 mil vinyl sheeting from TAP plastics at $4.10/yd (1 yard is plenty), cut a custom bladder in 2 pieces, glued the edges together with Vyna Bond cement (also from TAP plastics). This is a contact cement. It only works if you use it as a contact cement. This has made a heavy duty bladder that holds air very well. It is currently installed in my wing.

#3, haven't tried yet. No reason to.

raftingtigger, excellent work. You mentioned you used 12 ga vinyl for your bladder, how did you seal it? I've been experimenting with some 20 ga vinyl I have and it takes a very careful hand to not melt it too much. Guess I need to upgrade to the thicker material and that might help.

Also, did you cover the vinyl or is it actually that blue color? If it is that color, I'd like to know your source as I haven't found any that looks like that.

raftingtigger, excellent work. You mentioned you used 12 ga vinyl for your bladder, how did you seal it? I've been experimenting with some 20 ga vinyl I have and it takes a very careful hand to not melt it too much. Guess I need to upgrade to the thicker material and that might help.

Also, did you cover the vinyl or is it actually that blue color? If it is that color, I'd like to know your source as I haven't found any that looks like that.

I tried heat sealing the vinyl bladder with a household iron. It works - sort of. What works well is using Vyna-Bond contact cement. I have a sample sitting in my bedroom - inflated - for the last 3 weeks. It hasn't leaked any.

The outside cover is sewn nylon. I wouldn't trust the vinyl as the structural support. If you want more details the PowerPoint 'tutorials' are at:

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=docum...=B9C8BDC74CF0E245&resid=B9C8BDC74CF0E245!1574 (Backplate construction) and

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=docum...=B9C8BDC74CF0E245&resid=B9C8BDC74CF0E245!1575 (Wing construction)

Back
Top Bottom