Custom Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EberWolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an Argonaut Kraken Double Hose Regulator on it's way to me. I'm in the process of getting the rest of what I'll need. I'll be using an Argonaut wing with my kit.

I need a back-plate. The VDH back-plate has been out of stock for a few months. I'm also on the list for a Freedom Plate with a production of a few weeks to a few months.

While I will have no issue buying one when they become available I have the tools (and Water Jet) and material available to make my own. Does anyone on here have the dimensions of a plate they have used in the past?

Thanks

Some people, including me, have experimented with a two piece plate, what appears to be a side mount harness at first glance. A side mount harness often has two plates, a single "plate" for the top shoulder harness and a lower "plate" for the waist harness, and these are connected by a piece of webbing that essentially runs up your spine between them and joining them. The SCUBA cylinder then adds the rigidity to support the wing. The upper and lower plates simply route the webbing and each is center drilled to affix to the wing's provided holes with the usual sex bolts. The center webbing can be made any length or adjustable in length using tri-glides to keep it away from the double hose regulator. It works in practice much like the vintage style cotton harnesses which BTW some have used with a wing. If you were so inspired, do not use that horrible soft seatbelt webbing, get the good, stiff, stuff that holds it's shape.

I just googled building your own plate and all sorts of weird stuff pops up, this website shows a side mount harness/plate very, very much like the one I built but used for back mount cylinder and double hose (and single hose). Again the cylinder provides the plate function, the upper and lower junctions only route the webbing. It is the ultimate travel plate because it weighs nothing and allows folding and rolling the wing.

How To Build Your Own DIY Custom Sidemount Harness %

I had also made several dog bone (H) plates of ABS and 6061 but was never satisfied with any of them because I had in my mind one continuous loop of webbing. Now that I have more time on my hands, I may revisit the H plate and the two piece plate as the VDH plate has broken that thought train, it being non-continuous webbing as well.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom