Currents are still insane!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI has been 40 for a long time. To ENTER the program -- still need only 60 to finish divemaster and 100 to take the IE. A bit on the low side still, but I've seen divers who claim 500+ dives I wouldn't have thought had finished their open water yet. It really depends on the person and mindset.

the flaw in that requirement is to base it on number of dives, it should be based on bottom time

ACUC requires 21 hours to enroll and at least 40 hours of bottom time before obtaining the certification

Doesn't make sense to me. Port closures affected my diving in December and February, so now I'm going in late April specifically to avoid them. Hopefully this will blow off by the a.m. of the 24th? For such a popular dive destination, it's amazing how many days a year the port closes.
Of course, nortes at Cozumel are more common in the winter months, but I have experienced one in the middle of May. Stuff happens. Starting in June there could be hurricanes. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Yup...checked earlier...port is closed for sure today. Makes sense to me.... And there is always something else to do on Coz :)

We went for a snorkel yesterday morning right before we left and there was a proper swell coming in. Veritable waves! Wee tetchy, but still waves.

Aldora keeps two boats on the east coast for this kind of thing - anyone know if they went out?

Is the weather as weird up there for this time of year? Yesterday I got caught in a SOUTH blowing squall that almost had me screaming for my mama. Waves had white caps that were 25 feet wide. (not long after they broke...wide) And a couple broke over my bow.
Then today, it's howling from the north. Weird weather.....

Yes - this is VERY unseasonable for us and wierd winds for us too Hank! I's not really a "NoRTE" but it is affecting us like one. Winds were straight out of the west now shifted to the NW - hoping it will pass and be light enough for diving in the morning!

Mossman - you'll be fine for the 24th!

Yes - this is VERY unseasonable for us and wierd winds for us too Hank! I's not really a "NoRTE" but it is affecting us like one. Winds were straight out of the west now shifted to the NW - hoping it will pass and be light enough for diving in the morning!

Mossman - you'll be fine for the 24th!

What is it that defines it as a norte? We had a strong cold front blow through Austin on Friday and the winds were brisk from the NW through Saturday night. It was very cool (high 40's to low 50's) Friday and Saturday nights. Though it was pretty late in the season, that is pretty much the signature of a cold front that results in a norte on Cozumel if it gets that far.

We did santa rosa the same day as well. Wonderful dive. Things chilled out alot and then they closed the port. Getting on and of the boat was the only bad part of the dive. As far as how good anyone is should depend on how well they dive and without witness it personally how could you possibly know. As far as how many dives I have... if you read my other posts you'd know I have many more but dont "log" my river or quarry dives which are extensive. I consider the quarry confined open water and the river search and rescue. As far as what I base my crazy currents statement on. That would be the word of two divers who were on my dive that have been diving Cozumel for the last 13 years and logged over a thousand dives.

The winds on the 22nd were an OESTE. The evening of the 21st, Aldora was preparing to dive the east side the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom