Current (mid-June) water conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know - this is a very fluid thing ( pun intended! ), but here we are - three days away from our first non-cruise trip to Cozumel, and I'm going freakin' NUTS!

So...can anyone that's either on island, or has been there very recently let me know more or less what the water temps, seas, and vis are (roughly)?

I promise not to chastize you if what you report isn't what we encounter - I just have a wife and two very anxious teenagers ( OK...you got me - and ME! ) that are dying for some crumbs of info...

Help a fellow Scubaboarder out? :D

I know - this is a very fluid thing ( pun intended! ), but here we are - three days away from our first non-cruise trip to Cozumel, and I'm going freakin' NUTS!

So...can anyone that's either on island, or has been there very recently let me know more or less what the water temps, seas, and vis are (roughly)?

I promise not to chastize you if what you report isn't what we encounter - I just have a wife and two very anxious teenagers ( OK...you got me - and ME! ) that are dying for some crumbs of info...

Help a fellow Scubaboarder out? :D

Water temps will be in the mid 80's. Viz and seas change quickly, so today's info won't be much help.

Looking at your countdown timer... Do you really get to Cozumel at 11 PM?

Looking at your countdown timer... Do you really get to Cozumel at 11 PM?

No - I don't know what the deal with that is - we're scheduled to arrive at 2:22PM on Friday.

Thanks for the temp report.

I was diving there on Sunday and the water temp was 85 degrees, with a pretty strong current. I didn't even try to take pictures, just rode it out. This was at Punta Tunich. We then dove the C-53 and when we came around the outside of the bow of boat, the current was too strong to fight. We went to the other side, came up and swam through the boat to get to the other side.

I dove three days (8 dives) last week and it was 79 on every one of them according to my PC.

I was diving there on Sunday and the water temp was 85 degrees, with a pretty strong current. I didn't even try to take pictures, just rode it out. This was at Punta Tunich. We then dove the C-53 and when we came around the outside of the bow of boat, the current was too strong to fight. We went to the other side, came up and swam through the boat to get to the other side.

The current is always strong at Tunich, one of my favorite reefs. How was the current on other dives that you made? I ask because I'm bringing 2 newbies with me this trip. I have made 150 dives on reefs in Cozumel and familiar with most of the dive sites down there. TY.

We did 12 dives last week. All the way from Marricabo (SP) to Villa Blanca reef/wall. Finished up on Friday the 13th. Temps read at 81 on my comp. Currents were much calmer than they were in April. Depending on where we were they were very mild to (if you didn't see it the first time, forget it) Villablanca wal was probably the stongest we encountered. Of course thay can change but they seem to have been normal for Cozumel. Saw lots of turtles.

We did 12 dives last week. All the way from Marricabo (SP) to Villa Blanca reef/wall. Finished up on Friday the 13th. Temps read at 81 on my comp. Currents were much calmer than they were in April. Depending on where we were they were very mild to (if you didn't see it the first time, forget it) Villablanca wal was probably the stongest we encountered. Of course thay can change but they seem to have been normal for Cozumel. Saw lots of turtles.

Great info. Randy, Muchas Gracias.

My comp said the water was 80 to 81 degrees last Tuesday through Thursday. I didn't notice a current at Columbia Deep or Palancar Caves, and not that I have anything to compare it against (certified on Wednesday), but the current at Punta Tunich felt managable (or at least managable for a complete newbie like me to take lots of pictures --I got my requisite toadfish). Lots of turtles at Palancar Caves, and lots of toadfish at Punta Tunich.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom