Current conditions/San Marcos river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Will be diving the San Marcos river thru SM township this Sat. 10/30......was hoping someone who lives there or dove recently might give a water conditions report. Thanks

there is a resturant, can not think of its name but used to be the center reef, on a part of the river that is damed up and has a pond behind it. i have thought that would be a cool place to dive but do not know how deep the water is. just watch out as there is a ramp that people use to slide down that runs off the top of the dam and the current looks like it is running pretty good around it. i also wanted to dive next to joes crab shack, when it was peppers on the falls, in the pond formed by the falls but i think it is pretty shallow there. it was fun to go off the falls and swim there in the heat of the day.

kman458:
oh yea one last thing to watch for. the san marcos river is supposed to be the last place to find native wild rice in the state but it may be farther down river than you are going.

Kenny you mean I don't have to go to northern Wisconsin anymore for my wild rice!!??-LOL Yep we are getting in at Joes Crab Shack and drift diving as it is to the park were that dam is.....should be fun,,, 2 miles/1.5 hours.

PS--- How did your cruise go for you guys?
Alan

kman458:
oh yea one last thing to watch for. the san marcos river is supposed to be the last place to find native wild rice in the state but it may be farther down river than you are going.

A couple of the better populations are right past the next bridge - assuming you bother to walk teh last 50 yards to get up to the Crab Shack! - Otherwise - It's just across the stream from a really nice entry from the park right next to the main drag leading into campus. There are a dozen or so populations pretty evenly spread downstream - but in all cases, if you stay out of the weeds - no problem. [I volunteer with a couple fo organizations that track them]

The river should eb looking pretty good - I was in Aquarena last week and the springs were really healthy - you should havea great time.

Enjoy!

texdiveguy:
Kenny you mean I don't have to go to northern Wisconsin anymore for my wild rice!!??-LOL Yep we are getting in at Joes Crab Shack and drift diving as it is to the park were that dam is.....should be fun,,, 2 miles/1.5 hours.

PS--- How did your cruise go for you guys?
Alan
alan,

the trip sounds like fun, i seem to remember that a couple of the sororities used to have pledges float down the river sans wetsuits or any other suits for that matter :eyebrow: on those nights there was more than one moon over san marcus.

the cruise was a blast, only problem was that it ended. we could have gone for another couple of weeks as the few hours in port was not enough to see much and it was nice to not have to do anything. brenda got a 90' blue water dive in and is even more excited about diving than she was before.

-=>Larry<=-:
A couple of the better populations are right past the next bridge - assuming you bother to walk teh last 50 yards to get up to the Crab Shack! - Otherwise - It's just across the stream from a really nice entry from the park right next to the main drag leading into campus. There are a dozen or so populations pretty evenly spread downstream - but in all cases, if you stay out of the weeds - no problem. [I volunteer with a couple fo organizations that track them]

The river should eb looking pretty good - I was in Aquarena last week and the springs were really healthy - you should havea great time.

Enjoy!
it sounds like the rice is doing well. it has been almost 20 years since we used to conoe down the san marcus river and it seems to me that the rice was farther down the river on the other side of 35 but i am probable just off on what i remember.

-=>Larry<=-:

Enjoy!

Larry-- GREAT,,,I am more excited even now!

KENNY---glad you and Campmama enjoyed the cruise---and a 90' dive to boot--alright!

The river is always fantastic drove by it last night. The moon was full and the water was beautiful. You will have a great time the temp is a constant 72 degrees it will feel good if it is air is hot. Unfortunatly we are suppose to get a cold front in this weekend with rain but they said this morning it will probably be more likely on Sunday.

KMan glad you had fun on the cruise. Enjoyed seeing you and Brenda at the Scubaboard BBQ. Come on down to San Marcos we can jump in the river or dive Canyon lake if the air is not too cold, I'm a weenie. Dee and Beast are on a road trip this week in her new car they said they may stop by to see us on their way back to Houston.

parrotheaddiver you and others are welcome of couse to join our group on this dive!!! We will have our dive briefing at 12noon/Sat. at the Rio Vista park.

Back
Top Bottom