Current conditions at Wetherill? Tropical Fish rescue diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the winds are consistently out of the N or NW/NE the cove on the right should be calm. Just as importantly will be sun and vis. If cloudy and all stirred up it may not be worth the trip. Wait for better weather. The tropicals if around should be around until the water temp drops. They are usually in the shallows in the grass area and shallow cove sides.

Screenshot_20170922-141308.png

If the winds are consistently out of the N or NW/NE the cove on the right should be calm. Just as importantly will be sun and vis. If cloudy and all stirred up it may not be worth the trip. Wait for better weather. The tropicals if around should be around until the water temp drops. They are usually in the shallows in the grass area and shallow cove sides.

This is the problem with FTW even when the water is calm the current brings in what is right now dirty ocean water and stirs the slit up compounding the problem. Right now, I'd be willing to bet the water at FTW is colored like a lightly creamed coffee.

If the winds stay north and the rollers stop after a few tide changes it may be back to the usual 2-3' vis.

Don't waste your time. I'm planning on diving a FW lake near me Sunday.
I will likely be doing the same this Sunday. Temps forecasted to by in the upper 80s. I may still get away with a shortie if I stay above the thermocline which was at about 24". Hope to get out to Ft W one more time before I pack it up for the local dive season.

It sucked last Sunday afternoon and the later it got, the more it sucked.... If you want to go seining for tropicals, that is your best bet. To be honest, I have been looking for tropicals since August and am yet to see ANY. The current that brings them up here may have shifted offshore more and is not delivering or maybe I just haven't had any luck. Let me know if anyone finds any. I am curious.

It sucked last Sunday afternoon and the later it got, the more it sucked.... If you want to go seining for tropicals, that is your best bet. To be honest, I have been looking for tropicals since August and am yet to see ANY. The current that brings them up here may have shifted offshore more and is not delivering or maybe I just haven't had any luck. Let me know if anyone finds any. I am curious.
There were a number of tropicals in Barnegat bay until this week's storm, which tore up most of the shallow eel grass which holds them. I did some snorkeling yesterday, found almost nothing:eek:ne Spotfin BF, one tiny trunkfish under a dock.. The water was a clear 74F, but almost all of the natural cover was gone, piled high on the beach. This was not the best year for tropicals here, with southerly and west winds welling up cold water into August. Very recent NE winds brought in warm water but a bit late in the game.

Mrs.AfterDark and I went to FTW today to see what goes on. I must say that the water looked nice from shore.

A few tropical were netted, one of the divers brought up a sea cucumber. Pretty interesting we may make a day of it next year.

I have no regrets. At least one tropical was found (a permit fish) The viz surprisingly wasn't bad! there were areas clouded up by usual large groups of students. We dove entire right side and looked in every nook and cranny and found bubcus but it was still a fun dive. My buddy was her first dive there. We did a 2nd dive on right wall of left cove towards the island. Vis wasn't as good as right but we enjoyed ourselves. Was VERY surprised at how conditions were.

The fish rescue can be a fun day. We did it a couple years ago, brought a new diver and ate lunch with the Fish Rescue group up at the picnic area. We also were unsuccessful at rescuing but were able to see what was collected in a big tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom