Current conditions at Wetherill? Tropical Fish rescue diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
New England Aquarium's doing their annual fish rescue. I was hoping to dive it tomorrow. With hurricane Jose still sitting off shore.. You think worth going down? Wetherill viz is always meh.. even on good day so used to so so vis. Marine forecast is N winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Waves around 3 ft. But in the sheltered coves where we typically encounter tropicals, (right side of right cove), should be divable? (maybe slight chop but not going to be waves, rough surf?? Anyone local have pics of current conditions??

What is a fish rescue?

According to that, it sounds like the fish will be "rescued" from the ocean and placed into a tank. Is that right?

According to that, it sounds like the fish will be "rescued" from the ocean and placed into a tank. Is that right?

I've never been involved myself, but, as I understand it, each year about this time we get young tropicals that are swept into this area by the Gulf Stream when our waters are warmer. Since water temps are about to drop, which means these fish will die, there are attempts to save many of them, which means aquariums.

Our Cape Ann Dive got cancelled due to Hurricane enabled high seas. Was this cancelled for tomorrow as well?

I live on the east side of Portsmouth, RI, which is usually the calm side of the next island over, and this was taken just moments ago. Unless things change a lot by tomorrow, then I would hope it will be cancelled.
IMG_0183.JPG

I live on the east side of Portsmouth, RI, which is usually the calm side of the next island over, and this was taken just moments ago. Unless things change a lot by tomorrow, then I would hope it will be cancelled.View attachment 427506
thanks for sharing. The two coves at wetherill face S, SE and winds will be from N, NE.. My experience from past dives this time of year, the tropicals are closer in on Cove along the right side of the right cove (opposite the boat ramp) I figured would be OK there.. Agree, wouldn't be worth going out beyond cove into channel as the surface may be choppier or stronger currents in channel.. Would love if someone local to Jamestown did a quick shot of Wetherill cove

I like that it is a tropical fish rescue and bar-b-que. I hope it's not the fish that are on the menu! :D

Don't waste your time. I'm planning on diving a FW lake near me Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom