current conditions at the quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all
After trying for months to get someone to come get certified with me I've decided to just bite the bullet and take private classes so I can get wet. I'll be doing my final dives this next weekend at cerulean and was wondering if anyone had been there lately and could give me some updates on the conditions. I checked the site but didn't look like it had been updated in months. Anyone got any info or suggestions on a suit to wear? I've got a 3/5 shorty I use for surfing that I was thinking of using. I'm hoping that will be plenty. Thanks in advance.

Beach Junkie,

I took a look at your profile and just have to ask--does your mother know you play with those kinds of toys:D

I haven't been to Cerulean in quite awhile as in years now. But it should be warm, the water is probably going to be a little murky due to organic matter but you should have sufficient viz to have a good time.

jbd:
Beach Junkie,

I took a look at your profile and just have to ask--does your mother know you play with those kinds of toys:D ...

The funny part is thats the small one.:14: The army does have some fun toys. I carried that bad boy all through Iraq. Did me well.

Anyhow, I figured it would be a little cloudy, just hopin for decent vis. I got spoiled with the discover scuba that I did. Never dove a quarry before. I'll post up and let everyone know how it went. Thanks for the info.

Two weeks ago vis was about 10-12 ft. and water temps around 80.
Good-Luck this weekend !

mmm 10ft of vis how.... lovely. I'm spoiled commin from florida. This should be an experience for sure. If I can get shot at and blown up without freakin out, hopefully I can pull this off. Guess we'll see. Guess I'll get an early start on my uw nav skills.

I was at the quarry all weekend. Made 6 dives this week. Not counting my pool dives. On saturday morning the vis was awesome. (for a quarry) Probably 25 feet. He had been running the pump all week and it was warm and excellent. Made my first quarry dive very nice. Sunday there were a few more divers and the pump wasn't running and it got a bit silted up but was still 15+. I can't wait to go back on saturday for the treasure hunt. I met Nancy on sunday. (The woman in charge of the treasure hunt and founder of wounded warriors). I'll start another thread about the treasure hunt and the information she gave me on it. But as to the original post. conditions at the quarry are pretty good all things considered. Anybody know of any diving that can be done during the week?

You can dive at Falling Rock Park..aka Joe's during the week. PM me and I will give you the number to call. I think it would be a bit more of a drive for you but if you must get wet. There are several here that also might be willing to dive an evening with you.

Pennyroyal is open Wed.- Sun. & they're only about 15- 20mi. from you (Ft. Campbell) in northern Hopkinsville. The quarry is right off of the Pennyrile PKWY at exit 9. Coming from the south, get off at exit 9 & turn right. The Quarry will be about 50yds. down the road (road goes from 4 lanes to 2 immediately after you get off the ramp) on the rt. There's a big wooden sign with a dive flag on it. I get quite a few weekdays off during various parts of my work schedule. I'll have the week off in about 3 weeks. How about a weekday dive then? It has a shallow area (20-30') where most of the attractions are & a deeper area (up to 120') where there aren't as many attractions, but a lot of divers like it for deeper diving. you can look at their site for further info at www.pennyroyalscuba.com . The owners (Dennis & Kris Tapp) are really cool & will help you out in any way they can. If you can, the Evansville Scuba Club that will be at the treasure hunt on Sat., will be at Pennyroyal for a social meet , greet & dive on Sun. Unfortunately, my schedule only allows me to dive 1 day this weekend & since I turned in my entry form to the treasure hunt, I thought I'd do that.

Thanks tammy. I might have to do pennyroyal on sunday then. I've heard about it endlessly but have not dove it. Only cerulean. I'll check out the site. I'll try to meet up with you guys at the treasure hunt since I'll need a buddy. We'll see if we can't work out somethin for sunday as well. I don't have much of a wetsuit. (just a top that I've been using for surfing and at cerulean) But if I stay at the shallow area it shouldn't be a problem I'm guessing. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to meeting you on saturday!

BeachJunkie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom