Curious Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most transformative: GUE Fundamentals. Still the pivot point in my diving.

Useful runners up: My Puget Sound Marine Life ID class (not your usual one day PADI thing, but a distinctive specialty that involved four three-hour class nights and over 1000 slides) and Rescue.

Hardest classes: GUE Rec Triox (which I never succeeded in passing), GUE Cave 2 (which I didn't succeed in passing) and AG's whatever-you-want-to-call-it class that ended up with a NAUI Helitrox card. All three tested me to the max of what I could bring to the table as a diver, and I learned a lot from all three, although the experiences were not necessarily pleasant -- nor do I think that technical training SHOULD always be pleasant.

I've taken classes from PADI, NAUI, UTD, TDI and GUE; if you want hard, go GUE.

I've only taken a few classes but so far my UTD Essentials class was simply awesome! From the coursework that seriously expanded my knowledge of dive theory to the open water sessions where I was becoming a better and better diver literally every day. The days were long, cold, and (for me) wet, but I wouldn't trade that experience for any other.

Peace,
Greg

At different points in my diving evolution three courses stand out. Firstly Rescue (enjoyable and very informative), Second was my introduction to technical diving with an advanced nitrox / deco course ( it was as much the instructor as thr actual course) Thirdly was my Trimix course,agian this was very instructor related , which openned up a whole new area of diving to me.
The most demanding and satisfying was (not a course) my BSAC First Class Diver award.

I took Naui cave 1, Fundamentals, GUE Tech 1, Cave 1, and Cave 2, in that order. GUE cave 1 was by far the most demanding class. I learned the most, improved my skill dramatically, and generally had a tougher time with it than anything else.

I still find it strange that all the other classes were not as demanding as that one.

GUE Fundamentals is by far the most beneficial class I've taken. It's amazing how much your basic skills will increase in just 4 days. It also makes you a much more informed diver, my instructor never gave me a "because it is/is not DIR" answer, rather he always took the time to explain the answers to my questions. Definitely a great experience, well worth the money and time spent.

Most transformative: GUE Fundamentals. Still the pivot point in my diving.
Mine too. After that course things 'fell into place' and a path was set.

Most demanding was adv. trimix. I did mine in caves and did long dives for the first time, tiring. Most fun was CCR, learning to dive all over again.....absolutely NO buoyancy skills to begin with. After that initial shock, we went diving with my new toy.

Hardest: OW - I really sucked at diving at the start

Most beneficial/educational: BSAC Dive Leader, but mainly because my instructor has taught heaps of extra stuff too. This class has been full of learning about deco theory, deco diving, how to manage and lead other divers, practical rescue skills, rescue scene management, very detailed dive planning, helping out with boats (shot lines, navigation, weather planning, charts, tides). Pretty much if it is something I want to learn my instructor/s will teach it. Haven't finished it yet though :)

Favourite: CDAA Deep Cavern - found a new love in diving: caves, really really fun class

Just out of curiosity what in your opinion was the hardest, most benificial, favorite, educational, and/or Contntribuiting Dive class/course you've taken? This question goes out to all divers, be it in the Open Water Recreational, Overhead, Technical, and Rebreather Diving realm....
The hardest was probably the Tec Level 1 - I came closer to quitting diving altogether in that course than in any other. The most beneficial / favorite was Tec Deep. I learned a tremendous amount, and the self-confidence that developed during the course was signifcant. And, to use Lynne's terminology, the most 'transformative' was DM. It was the course where I really started to understand, and seek, precision in my diving, and it changed my direction from a recreational diver simply taking classes, to a diver who wanted / wants to continue to improve with every dive.

Coming from someone closer to the new side of diving, I think that some form Rescue training was and is, one of the best, first courses to take
My drysuit class was a real eye opener though, it was a good, thorough, sometimes stressful, learning process (obviously not one of those one dive wonder classes)

Just out of curiosity what in your opinion was the hardest, most benificial, favorite, educational, and/or Contntribuiting Dive class/course you've taken? This question goes out to all divers, be it in the Open Water Recreational, Overhead, Technical, and Rebreather Diving realm....

Hardest - CCR. It combined the most physical and mental demands and by the time I took it I was a good enough diver to know how badly I sucked during the class. Runner up was Full Cave.

Most Beneficial - DIRF. It showed me the bar and showed me humility after seeing how effortlessly truly good divers moved through the water and performed skills.

Favorite - Open Water. It got the ball rolling and I don't think I've ever had as much fun underwater in a class.

Educational - Rescue. Taught me that the best time to identify problems is before they happen. I believe that continuing education through the Rescue Level should be done by everyone that plans to stick with this hobby.

Contributing - All of them. Every class I took contributed to my knowledge or skill in some way.

Back
Top Bottom