Curious about life on a live-aboard....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockneed Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've never done a live-aboard, but am heavily interested in doing one of the tiger beach shark dives for a week. Given the nature (dangerous sharks) and expense of it, it's been a little tough finding a partner. Being my first trip like this, and probably flying solo, I'd like to hear some thoughts on what to expect? Is a week of that solo going to drive me bezerk?

Also, I'm a drinker... not a heavy drinker, but I like to have 2 or 3 rum drinks at night. Will that get me the stink-eye or do most people enjoy cocktails on the boat? Any experienced insight is appreciated.

I don´t know about the particular trip you´re interested in but the liveaboards I´ve done, you may arrive solo, but you´re usually buddied up with someone pretty soon (most boats you share a cabin with someone anyway) so while diving solo may be fun, I think you´ll miss out on some of the experience if you do...

As for drinking...after doing 3 or 4 dives a day and early mornings, most people tend not to drink that much (on the boats I´ve been on) but it wouldn´t bother me if someone did as long as they were good to go at the next dive...

I have only once done the liveaboard thing, and I thought it was fantastic. I don't think being a drinker will ostracise you, although if you are a smoker you may find yourself short of company in the evenings...

I really like doing liveaboards. You can dive 3-5 times a day and can dive with a group or just you and your buddy. I like that you can usually do a night dive each night too.

My experience is that some people are going to drink and others go to bed before dinner is served, it's a nice mix. I also enjoy hearing where other divers have traveled and what they have seen. If you want company you go to common areas and if you want to be alone, you head to your room. And I do like being spoiled by having my equipment taken care of, all I have to do is check it over before I jump in.

Also, I'm a drinker... not a heavy drinker, but I like to have 2 or 3 rum drinks at night.

An interesting definition, quantitatively. No, likely people will not comment or care.

The awful truth: With the quantity of diving you'll do on a liveabaord, with that level of alcohol consumption, you might develop something substantially worse than stink eye. Maybe just quit for the week? You can do that, right?

Don't worry about going as a single traveler- you'll meet some great new dive buddies.

I've never done a live-aboard, but am heavily interested in doing one of the tiger beach shark dives for a week. Given the nature (dangerous sharks) and expense of it, it's been a little tough finding a partner. Being my first trip like this, and probably flying solo, I'd like to hear some thoughts on what to expect? Is a week of that solo going to drive me bezerk?

Also, I'm a drinker... not a heavy drinker, but I like to have 2 or 3 rum drinks at night. Will that get me the stink-eye or do most people enjoy cocktails on the boat? Any experienced insight is appreciated.

many liveboards are set up to take solo customers. typically in a shared single-bunk room. if you want the room to yourself, expect to pay a little more.

I'd say the typical schedule on most liveboards would go like this.

Get up.
possible pre-breakfast dive, depending on liveaboard and schedule.
eat breakfast
1st morning dive
break/surface interval
2nd morning dive
lunch/surface interval
3rd dive, after lunch
break/surface interval
4th dive, mid afternoon
break/surface interval
Dinner
5th / night dive, after dinner
relax, partake of adult beverage.
go to bed

repeat schedule next day.

Some boats might get in a 6th or 7th dive a couple days, but I'd say that 5/day will be an average and you'll be pretty tired after that.

A decent amount of folks have an adult beverage after they get through diving for the day, but since they are going to be tired from diving all day and also diving the next day, typically you don't see excess amounts being consumed.

Most boats have a BYOB policy and provide a "common use" cooler for you to put yours in. Most of the time individual coolers are frowned upon. Some boats actually operate a bar service though where you buy from them. cash or 'room charge' type situation (since you really don't need to carry your wallet on a liveaboard).

But you're always going to have some divers who have a few drinks and socialize and some who are tired and go to bed. I wouldn't consider them not wanting to drink as being anti social or not wanting to drink... they are just tired because they did 5 dives that day.

I have not been on the Shear Water, but if that is the trip you are considering for your first liveaboard, I'd rethink it. It caters to very experienced divers and is usually booked a year or more in advance. (I do not know if things have changed since the fatal accident, or indeed, if they are still operating.) As liveaboards go, it is fairly spartan.

If the prospect of not drinking for a week changes your vacation plans, you have a drinking problem, in my opinion.

many liveboards are set up to take solo customers. typically in a shared single-bunk room. if you want the room to yourself, expect to pay a little more.

I'd say the typical schedule on most liveboards would go like this.

Get up.
possible pre-breakfast dive, depending on liveaboard and schedule.
eat breakfast
1st morning dive
break/surface interval
2nd morning dive
lunch/surface interval
3rd dive, after lunch
break/surface interval
4th dive, mid afternoon
break/surface interval
Dinner
5th / night dive, after dinner
relax, partake of adult beverage.
go to bed

repeat schedule next day.

Some boats might get in a 6th or 7th dive a couple days, but I'd say that 5/day will be an average and you'll be pretty tired after that.

A decent amount of folks have an adult beverage after they get through diving for the day, but since they are going to be tired from diving all day and also diving the next day, typically you don't see excess amounts being consumed.

Most boats have a BYOB policy and provide a "common use" cooler for you to put yours in. Most of the time individual coolers are frowned upon. Some boats actually operate a bar service though where you buy from them. cash or 'room charge' type situation (since you really don't need to carry your wallet on a liveaboard).

But you're always going to have some divers who have a few drinks and socialize and some who are tired and go to bed. I wouldn't consider them not wanting to drink as being anti social or not wanting to drink... they are just tired because they did 5 dives that day.

Thats what I was looking for... Thanks Mike.
Perhaps I indicated that the drinking was more important than it is. I'm 33, physically fit and enjoy a cocktail every now and then. Not every night and not necessarily anything more than a beer or two on the nights I would have something. Was just poking into the social scene aboard a boat and seeing how the time other than diving was spent. Thanks to all for their opinions.

People don't tend to drink much on liveaboards. There isn't much time or opportunity since you can't drink if you're still diving that day, and you're typically diving most of the time you're awake. But no one will care what you drink as long as it doesn't affect them in any way. (Drinking enough to put yourself, and therefore other people's trips, at risk - counts as affecting people.) I've seen some people prefer to do fewer dives or kill a bottle of wine in the evening instead a night dive, no one will have a problem with that.

I personally almost never have a drink on a liveaboard until maybe the last night (and booze has been included on nearly all the liveaboards I've been on.) I don't drink at dinner because I'm usually at least considering the night dive. After the night dive I crash. If I skip the night dive, it's because I already fell asleep.

I did my first live aboard in May, and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I was with a group, but we "adopted" one of the solo guests and dove with her most of the trip.

Also, if you wanted to dive and didn't have a buddy ready, the staff was more than willing to get wet with you.

Drinking wasn't a problem, either. It wasn't unusual for people to have a drink or two at night, and more than that the last night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom