Curing time for Aquaseal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaseal is an amazingly effective glue for vinyl. I have fish collecting nets that are more than three decades old made from clear vinyl, with all seams aquasealed. The bottoms are made from plastic window screening. The window screening is coming apart on these older nets, except for the sections embedded in aquaseal, which has yellowed, but is still virtually unbreakable. I assume we are talking about polyurethane. I doubt the stuff will stand the stress of constant flexing, though. Without the accelerant 24 to 36 hours is absolutely required. I have no confidence in the product when those accelerants are used.

Yeah that'll do. Put lots of little holes in the suit, weaken the material, and then booger it up with Aquaseal.

In your opinion, what would be the best way to fix it? Or do you think that the suit cannot be salvaged at this point?

I've often found that well meaning friends can do more harm than good. Hence my post #4. Wasn't being flippant, just trying get you back in your suit.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah that'll do. Put lots of little holes in the suit, weaken the material, and then booger it up with Aquaseal.
You mean like EVERY drysuit manufacturer does? Heck, Whites sews their latex seals in.

OP how were they originally attached?

OS Systems just glues theirs. The DUI's I have seen also were just glued. My HOG suit seals are glued. That's why replacing at home is so easy. Just need a heat gun, cleaner, and Drysuit Glue. No need to mess with stitching. The only sewn seals I have seen were on neoprene suits. I have not seen a White's in a long time. How are Fusion seals attached?
And there's a difference between seals and seams from what I've seen.

And there's a difference between seals and seams from what I've seen.

Hence why I said sew the boots on as that is a seam. OS, DUI, HOG, Whites, Etc. all sew their seams. I can pull all of my drysuits out and the Turbo Soles, boots, or socks will all be sewn.

Fusion wrist seals are sewn. I shortened the sleeves on mine when I put oval rings on, and used PB300 with a bead of Aquaseal to make sure they were sealed. DRIS and the Whites factory sew the cuff rings on too. Hard to break a mechanical binding. I would have sewn mine, except my industrial sewing machine doesn't sew cuffs :( I guess I need a third and fourth sewing machine, since the two I have now don't work.

You mean like EVERY drysuit manufacturer does? Heck, Whites sews their latex seals in.

OP how were they originally attached?

It looks like the boots were originally glued on. But all of the seams are sewn and reinforced with dry adhesive tape.

It looks like the boots were originally glued on. But all of the seams are sewn and reinforced with dry adhesive tape.
Was it a yellowish glue? If so that would be a contact adhesive. Usually the boots do have an adhesive tape on them too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom