Curacao vs Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Snoweman

I've only been to Curacao once, stayed in Westpunt, used Go West, they were good. House reef at their location, Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland was quite good. Can't help you with other locations on the island.

I've been to Bonaire many times use Dive Friends, they are very good. Their boats only go to Klein Bonaire and the 8 northern sites not accessible from shore. East Coast Diving is a very nice change of pace.

I've been to Bonaire many times use Dive Friends, they are very good. Their boats only go to Klein Bonaire and the 8 northern sites not accessible from shore. East Coast Diving is a very nice change of pace.

Just to understand what you do in Bonaire; You stay at the apartment place, Leman I think, and do all shore diving on your own and use Dive Friends for boat dives where you can't do shore diving?

What dive operation do you use when you are doing shore dives? Is the place where you stay on the water and you can dive there or is it away from the water?

How does that compare to Curacao boat diving availability?
Don't know about boat diving on Curacao, have only done shore dives, Google any of the dive shops, I would bet there are plenty of options.

Just to understand what you do in Bonaire; You stay at the apartment place, Leman I think, and do all shore diving on your own and use Dive Friends for boat dives where you can't do shore diving?

What dive operation do you use when you are doing shore dives? Is the place where you stay on the water and you can dive there or is it away from the water?
You drive around in truck, park and dive. You sign up for unlimited tanks with Buddy's or Dive Friends or AB. You use dive operators boats to do what ever dives you want, some go everywhere some go to limited sites that can't be reached from shore.

We stay at Den Laman, yes it is on the water. One of Dive Friends 8 locations is there, between Den Laman and Sand Dollar. We get all our shore diving tanks from Dive Friends locations. Their boats pick us up from the Den Laman/Sand Dollar pier. The house reef, Bari Reef, is fantastic, day or night.

1680963943938.png

From our balcony, beer in hand
1680964001639.png

Curaçao has plenty to offer for diving and on-shore entertainment.

Reach out to Gobi divers. They're located close to the Marriott Resort and have a house reef plus boat dives. There are many diving spots, if you know where to go. Most of them can be reached via a sandy beach or a location that will offer entertainment to non-diving folks, so bring your non-divers along.

We're mostly interested in boat dives, which appear to be more common than Bonaire.
I've been following your thread and mulling this over. I agree, Curacao has more diverse topside engagements, though one could be entertained for a week on Bonaire (e.g.: kite boarding, wind surfing, walking around the quaint capitol, a half day at the park, visit the Donkey Sanctuary, drive around the island). I've been to Curacao once (10 boat dives in a ScubaBoard Surge event) and to Bonaire 10 times.

I hit Bonaire repeatedly because of the shore diving. Bonaire has what I consider good general Caribbean sloping wall coral reef diving, pretty good reefs (quite good in the far southern sites with lush gorgonians in the shallows, and Karpata to the far north also quite good), decent amount of marine life, and a lot of small and medium things (not a lot of big stuff, though tarpon, green morays, cubera snapper, tiger grouper and barracuda are fairly common).

But if I were going for boat diving only, and since I've been before so checking it off the bucket list isn't a concern, this would be my thought process:

1.) From what I saw at Buddy Dive Resort years ago, it was common for boat diving to be single tank trips, so if you want two dives, you go out twice. I don't like that. I like out, dive, floating interval, dive, come back. This is what boat diving with Ocean Encounters in Curacao was like, and I preferred it.

2.) Bonaire is good, but it's not the best boat diving. Little Cayman, I imagine Cayman Brac (only 2 dives there, on the Keith Tibbetts wreck), the outer atolls of Belize, I'd rate better. If I weren't shore diving, Bonaire wouldn't be my 1st choice. If I wanted mainly boat diving supplemented by shore diving the house reef, I'd think about CocoView Resort in Roatan.

3.) If you've seen the recent threads on the coral disease outbreak in Bonaire, they're asking people to disinfect after each dive and I think not dive different regions right after each other, to slow the spread. I'm a lazy diver and I don't like added hassles.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy a 'boat only' dive trip to Bonaire, and it is a neat island in its own way.

I'm thinking of going to Curacao for a week. I know it doesn't have the walk in entry points like Bonaire, but I think that's more attractive to me. I know it is for my dive buddies.
Others pointed out Curacao does have walk-in points for shore diving, though shore diving sites are said to be farther/more-of-a-drive apart, but your statement confused me a bit so I'm asking for clarification.

Why would the perceived absence of walk-in entry points be more attractive to you? If you don't want to shore dive I can see they're not an asset, but are they a liability? Are you concerned others might push for shore diving if it's obviously convenient?

What is it that's more attractive about Curacao for your dive buddies?

For that matter, how did you guys come to focus on Curacao and Bonaire as your two main options for your trip?

I took a look at your profile, and I believe you listed this in your dive history: "Dive locations include: Hawaii (Kona and Maui), Nassau, Costa Rica (pacific side), Belize, Cozumel, Turks & Caicos, Key West, Florida Panhandle, Grand Cayman, St. Lucia, Jupiter, FL, and Bonaire."

You've been to Bonaire before?

Richard.

Interesting. I've asked about boat diving and received limited responses. Any details of who to use?
I dove with Buddy Dive they were great. I've had friends go with Dive Friends and loved it as well. My last trip I was with a few friends who are all DMs, so we chartered a small boat to take us around to the dive the sites we wanted one of the days as we didn't feel we needed a local DM for the whole trip.

What is it that's more attractive about Curacao for your dive buddies?

The dad has bad knees. He loved the concierge diving in Cozumel.

Why would the perceived absence of walk-in entry points be more attractive to you? If you don't want to shore dive I can see they're not an asset, but are they a liability? Are you concerned others might push for shore diving if it's obviously convenient?

An absence of shore entries would necessitate more boat diving, and therefore great choices of operators... at least in my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom